Zinke intends to move BLM HQ, etc

My guess would be SLC....doesn’t that seem like what this Administration would do?

Robin Brown, executive director of the Grand Junction Economic Partnership, said moving the BLM's headquarters to the Western Slope city could have an impact of $44.2 million on the local economy.

That tally includes $13.7 million for construction of new office space for the headquarters. The rest, rolled up into $30.5 million in annual economic impact, includes the earnings of potential employees, their families' incomes and the businesses they likely would patronize.

Brown said her organization is hoping to sweeten the pot with a plan to subsidize a flight from Grand Junction to Washington, D.C. There's even a webpage -- titled "Welcome Home BLM" -- aiming to draw the agency in.

Link: The $44.2 million pitch: What Grand Junction is doing to land BLM’s headquarters — and what the chances are it will work

After thoughtful consideration, so long as it's CO, I'm okay.

We're gonna have some super-mellow public land managers, yo.

:)

Only one logical place to put it, Hinsdale Montana. 35 miles from the "middle of nowhere"(Glasgow Mt. has this distinction, google it).

Did you know, once upon a time in Eastern Mt there was only one BLM office, with 2 employees? Wasn't in Hinsdale though, was in Miles City(due to Gov't shortsight).

House Natural Resources Chairman Rob Bishop (R-Utah) will host a committee roundtable session next week in Ogden, Utah, with a top Interior Department official whom Bishop plans to lobby about relocating the Bureau of Land Management's headquarters to the Beehive State.

The event set for Aug. 28 at the Weber County Commission chambers, titled "How Will the Department of Interior Reorganization Benefit Utahns?" will include Susan Combs, Interior's acting assistant secretary for policy, management and budget.

....But Bishop also intends to tout the virtues of Ogden on the state's north side as a potential spot to relocate BLM's national headquarters out of Washington.

House Natural Resources Chairman Rob Bishop (R-Utah) will host a committee roundtable session next week in Ogden, Utah, with a top Interior Department official whom Bishop plans to lobby about relocating the Bureau of Land Management's headquarters to the Beehive State.

The event set for Aug. 28 at the Weber County Commission chambers, titled "How Will the Department of Interior Reorganization Benefit Utahns?" will include Susan Combs, Interior's acting assistant secretary for policy, management and budget.

....But Bishop also intends to tout the virtues of Ogden on the state's north side as a potential spot to relocate BLM's national headquarters out of Washington.

Yeesh! Colorado needs to make a serious offering! Utah and the evolution of employees would be a real negative to Public Lands staying in Fed hands.
Wish a good mediation could come towards a state stewardship setting. Fed lands stay Fed hands (Ours) though managed, in a sense as is our wildlife...

From the article:

BLM estimates the move will cost $5 million to implement by Oct. 1, a source said.

Wonder how they figured that?

Would like to know how many employees will get TOS and the associated cost of that alone.

I doubt the move will only cost 5 million.

From the article:

BLM estimates the move will cost $5 million to implement by Oct. 1, a source said.

Wonder how they figured that?

Would like to know how many employees will get TOS and the associated cost of that alone.

I doubt the move will only cost 5 million.

Probably a typo and it needed a B in there.

Great choice! A refreshing take from the D.C. crowd to the Rocky Mountain side of Americans working. While it may not be a large shift from current practice, it will hopefully impact the local employees and culture may become more, wildlife / public lands supportive.

No money appropriated for the move, which will have to go through Grijalva or ....?

Kind of funny I was to fly to DC this morning and United flat cancelled my flight leg to DEN after stringing us along in the GJT airport terminal for two hours. UAL better step up their game or hopefully Frontier will come back to GJ. Those pressed-shirt and shiny-shoe types won't stand for crappy travel options back and forth to foggy bottom.

Overall, I think it's a good move. Will be interesting to see how GJ gets portrayed in the big city news.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back