Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Zinke intends to move BLM HQ, etc

https://gazette.com/news/interior-se...3f5666461.html

Seems a pretty good idea to bring HQ for BLM among other aspects to the West. Employ people within the environment and possibly a better perspective over employees residing in/around Washington D.C.

...But most of all, it has proximity. On the Western Slope, Zinke noted, BLM headquarters staff would be closer to the vast Colorado, Utah and Wyoming properties it manages.
    Some other interesting aspects shared within.
    " There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people." - Theodore Roosevelt
    Live to work or work to live... Your choice.

Thanks for posting this, Charles.

I have to say, it's one idea that he's had that I'm not necessarily opposed too. I think it dos make sense to, at the very least, give more deference to the state staff rather than put the DC filter on things that come from the various field offices. There are some downsides to moving the HQ of BLM to CO, as that takes senior level staff away from DC when they are needed to work on issues like budgeting and policy decisions at the cabinet and congressional levels, however I think that could be figured out fairly easy. Currently, DOI & USDA have exchanges between field offices, regional offices and DC where folks can rotate to learn various aspects of their agencies. That program also extends to state wildlife & natural resource agencies so there's a better understanding of the federal-state partnership. Lots to be done to strengthen that aspect, but I think Zinke deserves some credit for sparking the conversation at the very least.

Here's an interesting counter-point by the Western Governor's Association: http://thehill.com/policy/energy-env...hange-interior
    get over it commies..
    JWP58

Maybe good, unless the move is to Utah.
    “In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.”

― Benjamin Franklin

If you were able to choose, Salt Lake or Grand Junction?

edit....Jones beat me on the post. In the big picture, would Utah be better or worse for Federal Land retention.
    Last edited by mtmiller; 08-07-2018 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtmiller View Post
    If you were able to choose, Salt Lake or Grand Junction?
    Denver.
    get over it commies..
    JWP58

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Lamb View Post
    Denver.
    I agree that Denver is the most logical choice, although GJ would be convenient.
    Every day I'm hustlin'....

Hell is coming to breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Oak View Post
    I agree that Denver is the most logical choice, although GJ would be convenient.
    Only for you.
    get over it commies..
    JWP58

$$$$$$$$$$
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by mtmiller; 08-07-2018 at 04:48 PM. Reason: fun with numbers....no citation will be given

I want Rocky Ford, Colorado so Mark can start posting and bitching about me
    I'm an addict...archery, rifles, shotguns, handguns, muzzleloaders, hunting, fishing, fly fishing..and I don't want rehab

$$$$$$$$$$
    It make much more logistical sense to have it in a major metro area, rather than on the west slope. Easier access to DC, other regional HQ's, etc. Much easier for people to travel to DIA than GJRA. Which I hear is a very nice regional airport.

And everything is cheaper than Denver.
    get over it commies..
    JWP58

Can 5, 7 and 9's afford it?

Um, yes. haha

Can 5, 7 and 9's afford it?
    Is it cheaper for 5's, 7's & 9's in DC?
    get over it commies..
    JWP58

Is it cheaper for 5's, 7's & 9's in DC?
    Part of the problem from what I have been reading.

GJ is way cheaper than Denver. Yes, 5, 7, and 9's can afford GJ. Denver?...…

I was speaking purely from the logistics of travel, etc. Denver is probably easiest in that regard. Also, I will vote against UT every time.

Quick search to make sure I wasn't full of crap....or at least on my last comment.

http://westernwire.net/zinke-clarifi...eaus-out-west/

Quick search to make sure I wasn't full of crap....or at least on my last comment.

Perhaps we should be more concerned about why these public servants can't afford to live in an area that would better serve the public, rather than keep managing downward.

I too, will vote against UT, every. single. time.
    get over it commies..
    JWP58

If they have to build a new facility, lets hope the VA contractor doesn't win the bid...
    God's trying to bless America, there's just too many people getting in the way.

Originally Posted by Ben Lamb
    This is a poem of anonymity and blood.

I approve. Well done.

Zinke told the committee, as he did Tuesday in the Senate, that rising costs of living in cities like San Francisco, Washington, D.C., and even Denver was forcing the Interior department to consider smaller cities for “a better quality of life” as the agency’s aging workforce turns over in the next few years.

Referring to agency employee pay grades, Zinke said, “We’re going to have natural turnover. So when a GS-15 retires in Washington, D.C., we can reprogram it out in the field probably where it belongs, at a GS-5. And yes, we’re looking at smaller cities in each of these areas, not just the West.”
    Solid plan for retaining quality candidates.

What's the deal Sytes?...no bolded condescending klaxon paragraphs.

how many 5's and 7's work at the D.C. HQ currently? I have an impression HQ is base 9's less support personnel that would be at least a 7..., no?

I would be for GJ or Denver... opposed to UT.

Quote Originally Posted by noharleyyet View Post
    What's the deal Sytes?...no bolded condescending klaxon paragraphs.
    I know, I know... My bad.
    Last edited by Sytes; 08-07-2018 at 05:28 PM.
    " There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people." - Theodore Roosevelt

Come to Seattle my friend. We make Denver look like Chinese trinkets on Amazon cheap.
    Elitist Hunter

"Never let schooling [work] get in the way of your education" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Oak View Post
    Solid plan for retaining quality candidates.
    The idea of cutting a bunch of fat... Meaning overweight with GS 14-15's office managers (100-160k) and gaining more field based personnel at the GS 7-9 (40-65k) level, make good sense, least, IMO.
    Last edited by Sytes; 08-08-2018 at 05:20 AM.

Another potential upside is that you might get folks who are very good at their jobs/fields willing to take a HQ job in CO that wouldn't think of doing so in DC. Location does matter to a lot of folks.

25. Default

Anytime you hear that that this move or this reorganization will save money, particularly by dropping GS-13-15s and adding more 5,7,9s you should take it with a grain of salt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast