Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Zinke intends to move BLM HQ, etc

Sytes

https://gazette.com/news/interior-s...cle_65f600b8-975f-11e8-9af4-a393f5666461.html

Seems a pretty good idea to bring HQ for BLM among other aspects to the West. Employ people within the environment and possibly a better perspective over employees residing in/around Washington D.C.

...But most of all, it has proximity. On the Western Slope, Zinke noted, BLM headquarters staff would be closer to the vast Colorado, Utah and Wyoming properties it manages.

Some other interesting aspects shared within.

Thanks for posting this, Charles.

I have to say, it's one idea that he's had that I'm not necessarily opposed too. I think it dos make sense to, at the very least, give more deference to the state staff rather than put the DC filter on things that come from the various field offices. There are some downsides to moving the HQ of BLM to CO, as that takes senior level staff away from DC when they are needed to work on issues like budgeting and policy decisions at the cabinet and congressional levels, however I think that could be figured out fairly easy. Currently, DOI & USDA have exchanges between field offices, regional offices and DC where folks can rotate to learn various aspects of their agencies. That program also extends to state wildlife & natural resource agencies so there's a better understanding of the federal-state partnership. Lots to be done to strengthen that aspect, but I think Zinke deserves some credit for sparking the conversation at the very least.

Here's an interesting counter-point by the Western Governor's Association: http://thehill.com/policy/energy-en...ernors-protest-zinkes-plan-to-change-interior

If you were able to choose, Salt Lake or Grand Junction?

edit....Jones beat me on the post. In the big picture, would Utah be better or worse for Federal Land retention.

Last edited:
$$$$$$$$$$

Attachments

• capture2.JPG
    capture2.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 525
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 522
Last edited:
$$$$$$$$$$

It make much more logistical sense to have it in a major metro area, rather than on the west slope. Easier access to DC, other regional HQ's, etc. Much easier for people to travel to DIA than GJRA. Which I hear is a very nice regional airport.

And everything is cheaper than Denver.

GJ is way cheaper than Denver. Yes, 5, 7, and 9's can afford GJ. Denver?...…

I was speaking purely from the logistics of travel, etc. Denver is probably easiest in that regard. Also, I will vote against UT every time. ;)

Quick search to make sure I wasn't full of crap....or at least on my last comment.

http://westernwire.net/zinke-clarif...s-in-possible-relocation-of-bureaus-out-west/

Zinke told the committee, as he did Tuesday in the Senate, that rising costs of living in cities like San Francisco, Washington, D.C., and even Denver was forcing the Interior department to consider smaller cities for “a better quality of life” as the agency’s aging workforce turns over in the next few years.

Referring to agency employee pay grades, Zinke said, “We’re going to have natural turnover. So when a GS-15 retires in Washington, D.C., we can reprogram it out in the field probably where it belongs, at a GS-5. And yes, we’re looking at smaller cities in each of these areas, not just the West.”

Solid plan for retaining quality candidates.

Back