Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Let's get to cooking!!

Marsala is actually a fortified wine. And the sauce made with Marsala is a traditional italian pan sauce usually served with chicken and mushrooms but actually goes well in lots of different applications.

Now I recognize it!Thanks Colorado.I've made chicken with curried rice before,any other suggestions?:cool:

Pheasant marsala sounds like a great idea! Is it October yet?

I love it, I honestly didn't cook much until I got one now it's how I cook virtually all my meat and about 50% of all my other recipes.

I almost feel like is a requirement for a hunter to own one, I realized after my first steak that the "tough" issue I was having with wild game meats was simply that they didn't have much fat and were drying out on the grill or a pan. For a bit I was doing elk and mule deer steaks for 12hours+ but then quickly realized that 90min was fine as the issue wasn't the inherent toughness of the meat but it drying out.

Also my wife and I work pretty long hours and being able to toss dinner in the water bath and then only having 5-10 min of finishing once we get home is phenomenal. Also not having to worry about dinner getting destroyed if my wife gets stuck in an 8 hour surgery that went 15 hours is amazing... we had some issues with crockpot cooking... apparently you can screw that up...

@wllm1313 and @Colorado Kid - Any tips for a sous vide big chunk of backstrap? Is it worth it? We are heading to our cabin with a few couples and have a couple pieces of elk backstrap that we want to use the sous vide for. We have used it a few times for other steaks and love it. I am wondering what temp to set it at and for how long? We will be there next weekend so I will report back to the thread with pics.

@wllm1313 and @Colorado Kid - Any tips for a sous vide big chunk of backstrap? Is it worth it? We are heading to our cabin with a few couples and have a couple pieces of elk backstrap that we want to use the sous vide for. We have used it a few times for other steaks and love it. I am wondering what temp to set it at and for how long? We will be there next weekend so I will report back to the thread with pics.

Sounds delicious! Wish I had some elk backstrap but that's another story all together. It all depends on the temperature you want it cooked IE rare, medium rare ect and also how thick your cut(s) are. Rule of thumb is rare is around 120-125f and medium rare is between 130-135. Anything more than that is a travesty!!

Sounds delicious! Wish I had some elk backstrap but that's another story all together. It all depends on the temperature you want it cooked IE rare, medium rare ect and also how thick your cut(s) are. Rule of thumb is rare is around 120-125f and medium rare is between 130-135. Anything more than that is a travesty!!

Thanks - we are definitely going for rare and the back strap is not cut into pieces. I like to keep 10-12" sections and then I typically grill those up and then slice to serve. I have not done it this way yet with a full chunk in the sous vide. So with 120 degrees for the water - how long would you have in there for? Thanks for the info!

If you use a sous vide you also need to shoot a 6.5 creedmore and have a manbun :cool:

Haha - no man bun or 6.5 creedmore here. Just an interest in some delicious grub. Feeling like I have a solid grasp on my electric pressure cooker, I think the sous vide is the ticket for some juicy steaks!

Thanks - we are definitely going for rare and the back strap is not cut into pieces. I like to keep 10-12" sections and then I typically grill those up and then slice to serve. I have not done it this way yet with a full chunk in the sous vide. So with 120 degrees for the water - how long would you have in there for? Thanks for the info!

Tie the strap so it's about the thickness of a beef tenderloin or thicker. Sear it both before and after the water bath. Use your favorite herbs and spices in the bag. Go 120°f for about 2.5 to 3 hours. Don't go past 3 hours. After the 2nd sear, let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes.

I grilled up some antelope kebabs over the weekend. They turned out really well. Smoked them at 250 degrees for about 10mins and then another 8 mins or so around 300 degrees

antelope kababs.jpg

What an awesome thread. Thanks for all of the great ideas. How about a good meatball recipe? I always have a lot of burger (usually 2/3 deer or elk and 1/3 pork mixture). Looking to do a bunch of meatballs this year as the kids are starting to get a taste of the good eats and I need more of a variety. Thanks in advance.

What an awesome thread. Thanks for all of the great ideas. How about a good meatball recipe? I always have a lot of burger (usually 2/3 deer or elk and 1/3 pork mixture). Looking to do a bunch of meatballs this year as the kids are starting to get a taste of the good eats and I need more of a variety. Thanks in advance.

Why yes I do.....

2 lbs ground meat
.5 lbs finely chopped yellow onion
3 oz finely chopped celery
1 oz oil
1 t minced garlic
3 oz bread crumbs
5 oz beef or chicken stock (or whatever stock you have)
1.5 eggs
1 oz grated parmesan cheese
.5 oz chopped parsley
.5t oregano minced
Salt and pepper to taste

Sautee onion and celery in oil, add garlic, sweat and cool

Combine bread and stock in large bowl and mix well.

Add remaining ingredients including onion sauteed and mix well
Form into balls and roast at 350° for about 30 minutes

Remember....a recipe is nothing more than a guideline. Following exactly or change it up however you choose.

Enjoy!!

Sweet and sour meatballs are a hit in hunting camps and my house. Combine apricot preserves and BBQ sauce to get the sweet and sour flavor you want and then serve over rice.

Does anyone have a good brine and smoking recipe for a whole Canada goose with skin on? TIA

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back