PEAX Equipment

Back Tension / Hinge Release

I use a Scott longhorn hunter. I like it because it has a wrist strap to keep me from setting it down and walking off without it.

What make/model did you borrow??
I use a scott longhorn pro (brass release). I have shot quite a few different hinge releases over the years, but keep coming back to the Scott's

What make/model did you borrow??
I use a scott longhorn pro (brass release). I have shot quite a few different hinge releases over the years, but keep coming back to the Scott's

He said it was a Scott longhorn but it doesn't look like any of the Scott longhorns. it looks kinda like the Scott advantage and longhorn pro. The more I have looked into it I haven't found anything bad with any of them? Is there any huge differences between different brands or is it one of those things where when you just start off you can't tell difference between A and B? However once you have been shooting one for a while that's when you start to noticing the differences and find your likes/dislikes. I guess what I'm really looking for are any red flags don't get A because they are more for advanced shoots vs B thats maybe more forgiving on beginner shooters. (by beginner I mean beginner to hinge/back tension releases)

Thanks for the reply's everyone! Appreciate the help so far!

Once they are all set up it's just a matter of what fits your hand best and what is most comfortable. I believe the Tru Ball releases have a micro adjust for the moon where the scott's do not. I believe I have a backspin and a halo sitting around if you are interested in either of those for cheap money. The Longhorn Advantage series tapered down to be thinner at the pinky finger end of the release. The Longhorn pro was the same width the entire length of the release.

I dig the longhorn hunter hex because of the wrist strap. I used a tru-ball thumb release a few years ago and even on the range it was too easy to set it down, put it in my pocket, etc. For backpack hunting losing my release isn't an option so I need it strapped to me like my kindergarten report card...

I've got a Scott Anchor that I shoot in the backyard. I really like the way it shoots, but it doesn't have a wrist strap. I'm probably going to drill a hole in it and put a dummy chord on it just so it stays attached to me.

I've also thought about getting on the waiting list for one of John Dudley's Silverback releases. It's a true back-tension release (won't release until you pull a specific tension.) Anybody have any experience with this type of release?

I've got a Scott Anchor that I shoot in the backyard. I really like the way it shoots, but it doesn't have a wrist strap. I'm probably going to drill a hole in it and put a dummy chord on it just so it stays attached to me.

I've also thought about getting on the waiting list for one of John Dudley's Silverback releases. It's a true back-tension release (won't release until you pull a specific tension.) Anybody have any experience with this type of release?

I have been curious about the silverback also.

the scott longhorn hunter seemed pretty blocky and adjusting the halfmoon is tricky. theres a few variations of the longhorn which may be more refined. really like my stan jet black but the carter and truball hinge releases are worth a try.

as for silverback, its predecessor, the carter evolution might be easier to find in stock. i found that style of release took more time and effort to get started than a hinge but a good training aid and having potential to pair with a matching thumb trigger would be nice

as for silverback, its predecessor, the carter evolution might be easier to find in stock. i found that style of release took more time and effort to get started than a hinge but a good training aid and having potential to pair with a matching thumb trigger would be nice

I agree. The Silverback/Evolution is a great release to teach you how to pull through a shot. That being said they can be very finicky depending on how you have the release rotated from shot to shot and how much pre-load do or do not have at the start of your shot.

I saw in the TwitFaceInstaBook this morning that NockOn has the Silverback back in stock, so I've got one on order. I'll try to circle back in a couple weeks and post a review. Not saying my opinion will mean much, I'm just getting started in the archery game, so I don't have a wealth of experience to compare it to, but I'll still let ya'll know what I think.

Silverback is epic. They do show you the amount of variation you put on each shot which can be extremely frustrating but that is the point. It shows you all the variations you put on the shot. For me, it has been six months shooting a Silverback and it has been an incredible journey. At first, it was epic and I thought, whoa this is easy. Then after a couple of weeks there was a massive regression and Ive been working out of it since. I can say that now, I am a much more consistent shot. It has taught me wonders about my shooting and that the release is not the problem, my inconsistencies are. Dudley has them in stock right now if you want.

Last edited:
Silverback is epic. They do show you the amount of variation you put on each shot which can be extremely frustrating but that is the point. It shows you all the variations you put on the shot. For me, it has been six months shooting a Silverback and it has been an incredible journey. At first, it was epic and I thought, whoa this is easy. Then after a couple of weeks there was a massive regression and Ive been working out of it since. I can say that now, I am a much more consistent shot. It has taught me wonders about my shooting and that the release is not the problem, my inconsistencies are. Dudley has them in stock right now if you want.

I like them because I can switch between a thumb/hinge/tension and they're all the same size. Definitely an investment but I'd say its been worth it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back