New guy from central Oklahoma here...

Trslabaugh

Been a lurker for awhile now and I have decided to join in on some of the chit chat. Don't worry, I'm not going to ask where your best hunting spots are in your state!

I'm 31 and live in central Oklahoma. Lived here all but 2 years of my life, which was in Kansas during my first two years of college. Unfortunately, I didn't really hunt then! Anyway, I currently hunt whitetails, turkeys,hogs, coyotes, and started squirrels this year. I've recently picked up the hog hunting out of necessity/annoyance and have backed off coyotes. They just don't taste as good as a nice deer. I am a somewhat "new" bowhunter, but have really become almost obsessed with it. I do hunt public land exclusively and in Oklahoma, its no easy feat. I do find some spots around to hunt that don't have "northern" amounts of pressure, but it still is limited public.

This season, I will be headed to Wyoming for an early October antelope hunt with a buddy that hasn't hunted before. We'll be truck camping. I'll return and finesse my way into some nooks and crannies of Oklahoma public lands looking for some bucks. Then, my late season hunt is looking to be Arizona OTC archery Coues/Mule deer. Might be solo, if I can't convince my tightwad hunting buddy to drop some money on the tag.

Look forward to interacting and trading ideas with you folks!

Welcome from a fellow okie. Public land whitetail can definitely be a challenge on the limited public land Oklahoma offers. I'll be in Wyoming during mid September chasing antelope myself. Good luck this fall.

Welcome and good luck on the antelope hunt. Grew up on the OK/KS line. Did a two year stint at Cowley in Kansas. Some incredible hunting in that region.

Thanks everyone!

Colorado kid, We do have some decent turkey hunting down here! I had a heck of a time this season, but couldn't ever stick one. Plenty of shotgun opportunities, but I told myself it would be bow or nothing!

Thanks everyone!

Colorado kid, We do have some decent turkey hunting down here! I had a heck of a time this season, but couldn't ever stick one. Plenty of shotgun opportunities, but I told myself it would be bow or nothing!

I just picked up archery myself! Can't wait to take it down there next spring and try my luck! How is the deer tag process out there? We see a lot of whitetail when in Oklahoma. I'd like to try my hand at one or two sometime!!

Welcome from another okie. I feel your pain on the public land situation here in SE Oklahoma. I'm going to try going after bear with my bow on some public land east of me next fall but I'm expecting it to be a challenge to say the least. Good luck and be safe

Colorado kid,

Deer tags are OTC for Nonresidents, $300. If you JUST hunt deer, you only need the tag... no hunting license.

okie_hotrod,

I was down there a couple months ago! Checking the area out and doing some squirrel hunting. I have a family member that owns some land that backs up to NF and thought about bear hunting it this year, but its right during my antelope hunt. I think public land would be hard since there is no baiting. Good luck to ya! I'd love to hear how you did.

Thanks again to all the welcomes!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chughes
Back