Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vortex Viper HD ($499)

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • Nikon Monarch 7 ED ($445)

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VikingsGuy

So focusing on just 10x42 binos for western big game hunting, what is the best under $500 option today (new)? I understand that common advice on HT is to break the bank and buy $1200-$2000 binos, and I am not disagreeing, but this is not in the cards this year. So your perspective of these commonly well reviewed sub-$500 binos is appreciated.

I voted Maven C1 but agree that the Viper HDs are highly competitive in that category. I've owned both and they each have their pros and cons.

Considering that half the MSRP of most of those is nothing more than retailer markup I'd whittle the list down to Theron, Maven, and Tract.

And after researching a bit I'd probably move the budget to $524, and buy a set of Toric's on closeout.
https://www.tractoptics.com/products/binoculars/toric-binoculars

That may be one of the better deals I've seen on a new set of Binos as those Toric's are very well respected.

I looked at both Maven C1's and Vipers when buying a pair for my brother. The Maven C1 was far better.

Sig has their Zulu5 10x42's (normally $499) on sale for 1/2 price right now. I haven't used them, but if they are at all like Sig's rangefinder, they should be well worth the money. Sig optics have gotten pretty good reviews...

Here again I don't see the Vanguards on the list and they are 1/4-1/2 as much as the ones on this poll and IMO are equal to many on this list. There are way too many under $500 binos to choose from and it looks like you just have the most "popular" on the list :) I suggest anyone looking at binos go look at all of them, you might find a $150 dollar pair that are better for you then $500 ones. As little as I use binos. The ED glass on many binos is equal to some HD glass as well, so don't discount any ED glass.

Sig has their Zulu5 10x42's (normally $499) on sale for 1/2 price right now. I haven't used them, but if they are at all like Sig's rangefinder, they should be well worth the money. Sig optics have gotten pretty good reviews...

I love my Sig Kilo 2000 rangefinder.

Here again I don't see the Vanguards on the list and they are 1/4-1/2 as much as the ones on this poll and IMO are equal to many on this list. There are way too many under $500 binos to choose from and it looks like you just have the most "popular" on the list :) I suggest anyone looking at binos go look at all of them, you might find a $150 dollar pair that are better for you then $500 ones. As little as I use binos. The ED glass on many binos is equal to some HD glass as well, so don't discount any ED glass.

Yup, too many to list in the poll, some had to get left off. As for ED vs HD, they are essentially used interchangeably by the marketing folks.

Do you know who makes the Zulu 5?

I know Kamakura makes the Zulu 9 which is very similar to a Maven B2, also made my Kamakura. But I don't know about the rest of their line.

The vanguards are well though of but not near the top of this particular category price range. Their angle of view and FOV are probably the biggest drawbacks with this particular model. It's also a bit heavier than some in this category. It has a locking diopter that gets mixed reviews,

FOV is a good way to see differences in binos.
Questa = 420 ft
Swaro SLC = 409
Vortex = 409
Zeiss = 367
Vanguard = 367
Leupold = 367
Metope = 351
Tract = 341

I have a sneaking suspicion if the name was scratched off these and hunters had to choose based of what they saw those Questa's would be hard to beat in this category. That is likely a 7-800+ Binocular with a big name on the box and a big retail markup.

If you read a good bino comparison there will be a lot of specifics on eye relief, eye cups, FOV, color warmness, edge distortion, chromatic abberation, dialectric coatings, prisim types, who actually made the binoculars (most likely one of about half a dozen manufacturers who make binoculars for all these American companies who put them in their box and mark them up) etc.... Rarely do those things even get brought up by hunters who mostly just recommend what they have and don't really know what to look for. Asking hunters about optics is like asking a 15 year old boy about sex, they kinda get it but not really. Then go talk optics with photographers, birders, and star gazers, those folks know their optics.

Based off what I have read and looked through the C1 and BX-4 models I would venture to guess that the best on this list are the Questa's. If could not bump the budget to $524 and buy the Torics I'd buy the Questas for this scenario.

The vanguards are well though of but not near the top of this particular category price range. Their angle of view and FOV are probably the biggest drawbacks with this particular model. It's also a bit heavier than some in this category. It has a locking diopter that gets mixed reviews,

FOV is a good way to see differences in binos.
Questa = 420 ft
Swaro SLC = 409
Vortex = 409
Zeiss = 367
Vanguard = 367
Leupold = 367
Metope = 351
Tract = 341

I have a sneaking suspicion if the name was scratched off these and hunters had to choose based of what they saw those Questa's would be hard to beat in this category. That is likely a 7-800+ Binocular with a big name on the box and a big retail markup.

If you read a good bino comparison there will be a lot of specifics on eye relief, eye cups, FOV, color warmness, edge distortion, chromatic abberation, dialectric coatings, prisim types, who actually made the binoculars (most likely one of about half a dozen manufacturers who make binoculars for all these American companies who put them in their box and mark them up) etc.... Rarely do those things even get brought up by hunters who mostly just recommend what they have and don't really know what to look for. Asking hunters about optics is like asking a 15 year old boy about sex, they kinda get it but not really. Then go talk optics with photographers, birders, and star gazers, those folks know their optics.

Based off what I have read and looked through the C1 and BX-4 models I would venture to guess that the best on this list are the Questa's. If could not bump the budget to $524 and buy the Torics I'd buy the Questas for this scenario.

I've been told that light transmission/luminosity/twilight factor are the most important components? That being said I'm an optics neophyte, where do you think twilight factor stacks up to FOV?

Questa = 336ft... you are looking at the 8x not the 10x

I've been told that light transmission/luminosity/twilight factor are the most important components? That being said I'm an optics neophyte, where do you think twilight factor stacks up to FOV?

Questa = 336ft... you are looking at the 8x not the 10x

I think that comparing the differences in the models is a great way to really see where some stand out. Unfortunately as you noticed there really is not any of that in this discussion as far as comparing specs of the different models. Only you can determine what factors are most important after looking through a pair of binoculars. Sometimes simple stuff like eye cups or eye relief can be a deal breaker for some before even getting into the actual glass portion of the binoculars.

I believe I was using the 8x specs as I prefer an 8x42 as opposed to a 10x42.

I'd buy stuff from Oregon first. mtmuley

I was mostly kidding. Just have to be a state loyalist being from old Sconnieland. I personally don't own any Vortex, but my brother swears by it. I also shoot a Mathews bow since I'm from WI...

I saw a post above about the Redfield Rebels, and that's what I have. Very decent pair, but my brothers' Vortex Viper and Nikons are much better, although both are over double the price.

Last edited:
I think that comparing the differences in the models is a great way to really see where some stand out. Unfortunately as you noticed there really is not any of that in this discussion as far as comparing specs of the different models. Only you can determine what factors are most important after looking through a pair of binoculars. Sometimes simple stuff like eye cups or eye relief can be a deal breaker for some before even getting into the actual glass portion of the binoculars.
I believe I was using the 8x specs as I prefer an 8x42 as opposed to a 10x42.

Totally agree, I always find it funny when you read a negative review of a bino and people are complain about the strap that came with them and don't even comment on the glass...

My spec comment was apples to apples the Swaro SLC published 10x42 FOV is 408 while the Questa 10x42 is 336... so ~18% less... comparing a 8x to a 10x is misleading.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back