Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Moving to SoCal

ZackW

Hi all,
The wife and I are up and moving from Wisconsin to San Diego for work. I’ve been hunting for for 25+ years, but very little of it has been out west. I was hoping that someone could give me a rundown of my options in southern california. I plan to do some backpack hunting for mulies to get away from the roads, but have no idea where to begin. I’m open to any suggestions, from deer to ducks to doves, I hunt it all. Any tips, tricks or secret spots would be highly appreciated!! Thanks!
-Zack

Don’t do it... but if you have to.. I killed a lot of deer and in d15, turkeys around Julian, ducks at San jacinto wildlife area and wister/imperial wildlife area, and a x zone Muley every few years. Be sure to apply for tule elk and desert bighorn, can’t shoot those in many other states.. Sacramento valley is second to none for waterfowl, put in the reservation system and make the drive when you get drawn.. hunt the middle of the week when others cant. Join MCC to kill deer or turkeys, or make friends with the Indians, (bring natural ice).. good luck and god bless..

Last edited:
Do what you got to do. Beautiful city. Good experience, but do not expect to hunt much.

Maybe the Calforinios will chime in.

If you come to the Imperial Valley to shoot doves as most of SoCal does, swing by my taxidermy shop and we can chat about hunting. Breck Dickinson Taxidermy

What part of San Diego? There is a fair amount of small game hunting inland like the guys above said, I wouldn't count on great deer or pig hunting, but there's some to be had. I'd suggest taking up saltwater fishing, there are some fantastic opportunities down there.

The biggest mule deer in the state come from the SE desert area D12, but the lowest kill % also belongs to D12

Attachments

• Tony Friley Buck 001.jpg
    Tony Friley Buck 001.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 142
Moved to Ventura when I first got to CA and was in your situation..you should look into spearfishing. San Diego has some great opportunities and its a cross between fishing and hunting. Plus you have to be on the look out for Great Whites and sea lions. fun fun

Since you are going there due to work, you do what you have to do.
Personally nobody could pay me enough to live in CA, especially southern Cal.
Just the thought of having to get on a freeway and driving 80mph just to try keeping up with traffic to go most ANYWHERE makes me cringe.
Best of luck to you and your wife.

Well, I’m a wildlife biologist and I’ll be working on San Clemente island, so I won’t be dealing with the traffic and crowds too much. I do A LOT of fly fishing, so I might just have to shift focus for a while. Here in Wisconsin, I do a ton of squirrel hunting and would not be opposed to heading out with the .22 to find some jackrabbits. I guess I’ll just have to take whatever I can get. I have a buddy that used to live out there and said the same about the spearfishing. He told me I could have all of his gear if I wanted it, but I’m not sure how I would feel about swimming with white sharks and sea lions.

That ought to be an awesome experience! I dated a girl years ago who became a biologist on Catalina Island and loved it. The islands off SoCal are incredible places, they are absolutely nothing like the mainland rat race. I used to surf at the Channel Islands off Santa Barbara and there is LOTS of great wildlife out there, including the occasional white sharks and elephant seals, which both can grow over 4,000 lbs and will blow your mind to see up close. Take the spearfishing gear from your buddy! It is an absolute blast, you will not regret trying it out. You don't need SCUBA gear to spearfish, you can stay shallow if you want, and San Clemente probably has some amazing opportunity for big fish. Flyfishing the inshore reefs and kelp beds can be great for calico bass, barracuda, white seabass, halibut, yellowtail, etc., all are great eating.

Welcome. I just left California. Too many rules and soon I fear the tree huggers will finally be able to push through their no hunting agenda. They have been at it for years and for years the state has been sliding further into the crazy liberal depths and conceding to their demands. I don't mean to be a downer, just letting you know what I've been seeing during my time there.

Welcome to the forum

There are some hunting opportunities, but I recommend you learn to like salt water fishing or if you need the stalking aspect learn to spear fish. San Diego is incredible for that. Take advantage of what San Diego has to offer rather than mourn what it doesn't.

Take advantage of what San Diego has to offer rather than mourn what it doesn't.

This. I'm a diehard born and bred Montana mountain guy. But, I spent some time in California in my youth. Santa Maria, Shell Beach, Avila Beach, Port San Luis Pismo and surrounding country. Boy did I have fun. It ain't Montana, but there are positives. My wife of 30 years is a San Diego girl. mtmuley

If you have to move to Southern California, San Clemente Island would be a great spot. I lived in San Diego in my early twenties, and had plenty of fun fishing and surfing. Met my wife there too. Best Mexican food in the country. Some unique fly fishing opportunities down there:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fMtv9nbmUDM

If you are a waterfowler then you will love the variety of species that CA has to give. Shoot some cinnamon teal, pintail, and spoonies in good color.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back