Binoculars

SisuHunter

I am looking for some 8X42 binoculars and wonder if anyone had experience with Theron Questa and Maven C1. I have researched both and they get great reviews for the most part. Maven is a little cheaper and may have better warranty and I am leaning that way. I may demo a pair and buy them if I like them. Also considered going cheaper with vortex diamondbacks that will be backup sometime. Any thoughts on any of these models and a good harness? Thanks

I own a pair of the Maven C.1s. They really are a spectacular pair of binoculars. Clarity, glare control, low light performance, and edge to edge clarity are all better than any bino I've ever owned up to $1k which is amazing. Incredible view. They do have their flaws, though, that allowed them to reach such a low price point. The body armor isn't my favorite, the eye cups could be more solid, the FOV is pretty run-of-the-mill, and the depth of field isn't great. They are so far and away better than vortex diamondbacks (my wife used to own a pair) that I wouldn't even consider them if you can afford the Mavens.

Those Maven C series are nice. I was really impressed looking through them.

The Theron gets good reviews but there is something weird about Theron that I have not figured out. If you go to their website you will see what I'm talking about. It appears they have very limited distribution, only 1 place listed to purchase. And that 1 distributor happens to be owned by a Hunt Talk member. I just had too many questions about Theron as a company to purchase their product but many on this site like theirs.

Here is a good discussion about the Questa's. The consensus is that these may be Bosma binoculars re branded as Theron which is a private label for Predator Optics.
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=309888

I switched to a marsupial bino harness last year and really like it.

I've got the Questas in 10X and am extremely pleased with them. Pat (Schmalts) is an honest guy to deal with and he offers a solid product at a decent price. I've had mine for 2 hunting seasons and have zero issues with them. Can't say anything about the Maven's, but I do hear good things about them.

As for the Theron business model, I get it. It's low overhead and a unique marketing strategy that isn't reliant on the latest social media fads or spending a ton on cheesy videos, just straight sales to the consumer, reducing the middle man and marketing departments. I'm all for small business owners getting a higher profit margin. :)

I've got the Questas in 10X and am extremely pleased with them. Pat (Schmalts) is an honest guy to deal with and he offers a solid product at a decent price. I've had mine for 2 hunting seasons and have zero issues with them. Can't say anything about the Maven's, but I do hear good things about them.

As for the Theron business model, I get it. It's low overhead and a unique marketing strategy that isn't reliant on the latest social media fads or spending a ton on cheesy videos, just straight sales to the consumer, reducing the middle man and marketing departments. I'm all for small business owners getting a higher profit margin. :)

I think it's great that we have options to buy binoculars without the huge retail markup. Companies like Tract, Maven, and apparently Theron are all able to use a different business model which can provide consumers with more bang for their buck.

Many hunters don't realize that the optics they buy may not have actually been made by that company with the name on the box and have no idea that there are much larger optic companies like Kamakura or Light Optical Works who make optics for many manufacturers that hunters are familiar with. Heck most hunters have no idea what kind of prisms their binoculars have let alone what company actually made them.

At the end of the day the birders sure like the Questa binos and have nothing but good things to say. I trust their opinions as they are much more educated on optics and could care less about brand, which is a major issue with reviews from hunters as they care more about brands than details on the actual glass, coatings, color warmness, FOV, eye relief, edge clarity, etc..

I was planning to try one of the big Theron 82mm spotters from Predator a while back but they were out of stock when I went to purchase and it looks like that may have been discontinued as I don't see them anymore on the MFG website. I have no doubt the Questa is a great pair of bino's. Would be interesting to see an actual comparison between the Maven C series and the Theron Questa as they are both well suited for hunters looking to upgrade.

Well I just wanted to say thanks for the advice and recommendations. I purchased the Maven C1 8x42 and am very happy with them. Also picked up a Vortex Razor 16-48x65 mm spotter that was on closeout at Scheels. I think both will work out well and am looking forward to using them in a couple weeks for a SD mule deer hunt.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back