Tires breaking down from muddy roads?

Good timing, we were able to contact the shop today. The owner was helpful, but couldn't find applicable warranty coverage for our tires in his material. He gave us his supplier's phone number. The supplier said the company doesn't provide a mileage warranty on 10-ply tires since they expect them to be used in harsh conditions. I looked on the Hankook website and haven't found that specified, but their website content isn't really detailed. Hankook warranty page: https://www.hankooktire.com/us/serv...placement-warranty/passenger-light-truck.html The supplier said sometimes the maker will work with a customer who has problems, so that will be our next step. I'll call their customer service and describe the cracking, and see what they say.

I have been searching the internet for how any tire maker defines "off road use" but haven't found anything.

The tire purchase receipt had the truck's mileage recorded on it, so I compared the current odometer reading. I was surprised to see we have put nearly 48k miles on them. These are the Dynapro AT-M which are rated for only 50k asphalt miles. I have driven a lot of non-asphalt road miles, so maybe this breakdown isn't as premature as I first thought.

Good timing, we were able to contact the shop today. The owner was helpful, but couldn't find applicable warranty coverage for our tires in his material. He gave us his supplier's phone number. The supplier said the company doesn't provide a mileage warranty on 10-ply tires since they expect them to be used in harsh conditions. I looked on the Hankook website and haven't found that specified, but their website content isn't really detailed. Hankook warranty page: https://www.hankooktire.com/us/serv...placement-warranty/passenger-light-truck.html The supplier said sometimes the maker will work with a customer who has problems, so that will be our next step. I'll call their customer service and describe the cracking, and see what they say.

I have been searching the internet for how any tire maker defines "off road use" but haven't found anything.

The tire purchase receipt had the truck's mileage recorded on it, so I compared the current odometer reading. I was surprised to see we have put nearly 48k miles on them. These are the Dynapro AT-M which are rated for only 50k asphalt miles. I have driven a lot of non-asphalt road miles, so maybe this breakdown isn't as premature as I first thought.

Did you drive with an empty truck bed or did you carry around quite a bit of weight. Usually using 10 ply tires means that you could be driving over sharp rocks and carrying weight if you're off road. This year even tho I may not need them, I opted for 8 ply tires. A little better ride, and most of the protection of 10 ply. Been running them at 40 pounds or so as well.

I’d be pretty happy with 48k miles out of them.

I would've thought they would last longer, but 48k isn't bad. Just use it as an excuse to get new tires! It's always fun! I'm looking at KO2, Duratracs, grabber ATX, St Maxx, open country rt, and ridge grappler. But we've already got threads on new tires...

Those look like rock cuts to me. 48k out of a set of 10 ply tires on a truck? That's very good, especially if used off-road at all. It doesn't matter what tire I put on !y truck, but I don't get 25k out of them before I destroy sidewalls from rocks.

Also, it's not uncommon for truck tires to not have a warranty because of the expected use. For that reason, I just find the best deal I can and expect to replace tires every two years, regardless of tread life remaining.

Try the K02 tire. I drive 60k miles a year and that includes horrible mine roads and mountain roads. All my problems went away when I switched to them.

If I schedule a tire change at 60k miles then I miss getting a flat at all. 65k miles and then the flats show up, but 60k is pretty darn good for tires I think.

Last edited:
I sure as hell wouldn’t try.

He got 48K miles out of them. Off road without rocks but mostly dirt or grass I think he could have expected a lot more than 48K out of them IMO. I didn't mean to try for 25K more with THOSE tires.

He got 48K miles out of them. Off road without rocks but mostly dirt or grass I think he could have expected a lot more than 48K out of them IMO. I didn't mean to try for 25K more with THOSE tires.

LOL, gotcha. That makes a lot more sense.

Thanks guys.

Usually there's not a lot of weight in the bed, but sometimes I have a full water tank (50-70 gallons) plus camp or other equipment.

I'll check into the K02 tires, thanks for the tip.

If I get to keep driving in the mountains, I guess I'll plan to replace tires sooner.

That's tread separation. Get those tires off of there asap. Tire tread separation is known to cause a lot of roll over accidents. Especially in SUVs and trucks.
As said above the culprit is usually under inflation.
If you know that the tires were not run under inflated then demand the tire shop pull one off the rim for you to inspect together.
A tire that looks like this from under inflation will have a lot of burnt rubber dust and chunks inside from the sidewall over heating.
If their isn't anything in there than it is a manufacturer defect or old tire. Either way if you have bought them in the last few years you should have a warranty claim

Well said and under inflation was my first thought too.
I don't know what size the tires are but most trucks have 16 or 17 inch tires. I would run a minimum of 60 psi and probably more in tires of that size.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back