Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Hunter orange??

Yes, at a minimum, a hat. I'f I'm wearing a pack, it has an orange vest tied to it. I grew up and learned to hunt in Idaho, where there was and is no requirement. My dad told me it was because we had to watch out for the other guy.

Generally I don't wear it if not required, with turkey season being the exception here. While carrying my bird out this past year I had more orange on than I ever have for a big game hunt.

Not sure if MN is still worded the same but when I left there 6 years ago "any persons afield" needed to wear the minimum amount of hunter orange during whatever hunting season was currently open.

I will wear it on pack out for sure (even during archery season) and likely if not in immediate pursuit of game.

I tend to hunt near the Pacific Crest Trail and I see a lot of hikers. I would say about half will wear orange when they realize it is deer season. Most are friendly but occasionally I will get the person who doesn't think I should be allowed to hunt near a trail system. The Pacific Crest Trail goes from Mexico to Canada so that would be a large area.
I don't really hunt that close to the actual trail but I do use it to access some areas occasionally. Most hikers are gone by October.

Even if it's not required I usually wear an orange hat, turkey/waterfowl would be the exception. I'm amazed by the number of people I see each year not wearing orange when it's required. Here in PA you have to wear a vest and hat during big game seasons, I've watched guys putting on drives through thick brush and they don't have any orange on. They must really trust the guys they hunt with.

I wore head to toe camo in Idaho before it was the in thing to do. I have gotten kind of paranoid over the years so now I wear at least a blaze camo hat even though it isn’t required. I often have a Kifaru Late Season on my back - the one with the fleece covers - and I always have the blaze side out on the lid cover during any firearms season.

A couple issues back in the International Hunters Education Association (IHEA) magazine there was a story about a longtime hunters ed instructor hunting Sitka black tailed deer and how he got tunnel vision and mistakes his partner for a deer. Luckily no one was killed or seriously injured.

In Ca. where I hunt bear season is open during deer season. Bears vary in color a lot. I think it is more likely to be mistaken for a bear around here than a buck. With my orange I hope that I won't be mistaken for any game animal.

During firearm season, even if not required, I would wear an orange hat, and if I were packing out an animal I would put on as much orange as I could come up with, maybe keep on of those cheap orange vests in your pack for the pack out.

In Az. not required so no.But do carry in my pack for carrying out animals./emergency siuations:cool:

In Oklahoma, orange is required during gun season regardless of method being used. I wear an orange hat when I hunt in New Mexico especially when I am walking/stalking. I have been hunting private land but it is surrounded by Wilderness area and we occasionally get some walk through traffic.

I have on one occasion had a hunter walk within bow range during mule deer season in New Mexico. What's the proper etiquette for announcing one's presence in that situation?

In Oklahoma, orange is required during gun season regardless of method being used. I wear an orange hat when I hunt in New Mexico especially when I am walking/stalking. I have been hunting private land but it is surrounded by Wilderness area and we occasionally get some walk through traffic.

I have on one occasion had a hunter walk within bow range during mule deer season in New Mexico. What's the proper etiquette for announcing one's presence in that situation?

If you think your life is in jeopardy because of an accidental shot I personally don't think there is proper etiquette. Just make sure they know you are there by whatever means neccessary.

Hunting here where I live without orange is like playing Russian roulette it's a very good way to get shot.. The only hunting accidents involving rifles that I am familiar with near me all involved hunters not using hunters orange..

Our local hunter safety instructors and co's all will tell you it is the number 1 things you can do to stop hunting accidents involving firearms.. I personally have a very good friend whose brother shot the oldest brother in the family because of this very reason.. He shot through a doe into his brother because he did not see him downrange when he shot.. My father found the boys after the incident when he heard the cries of the one who had done the shooting... This happened right behind our family's farm where I grew up and live today...

Wisconsin gun season, yes without question. Wyoming/Colorado etc... would be dependent on situation and amount of other hunters around. Probably would skip if fairly often based on my experiences out west.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back