Hunter orange??

Wisconsin gun season, yes without question. Wyoming/Colorado etc... would be dependent on situation and amount of other hunters around. Probably would skip if fairly often based on my experiences out west.

The two states you mentioned both require it. Wyoming allows as little as an orange hat and that's all I have ever worn out there to comply. CO requires a hat and clothing of at least 500 square inches the last I looked at their requirement.

Last edited:
In PA and MD where I do most of my hunting it is required for all centerfire hunting. In muzzloader I typically wear a hat although not required, in archery I started wearing orange on my backpack when walking in and out when they started allowing crossbows. Nothing against Xbows just met too many guys obsessed with how much better they shoot in low light. Still planning my first western hunt but I think if none is required I would start with a hat and orange on my pack and adjust from there.

Gun season it is obviously required in WI. I've had just as many close encounters with deer wearing blaze orange than with my full camo worn during bow hunting seasons. I also wear an orange vest and cap when upland bird hunting

In archery season and on private land if I have the option not to wear it I dont. For instance in NC as a landowner, I dont have to wear orange when hunting my own property even during rifle season. However it still depends on who I have with me. If I'm taking one of my boys or someone new to hunting then I'll look like an Orange Kool-Aid coming through the wall for those who remember those commercials.

Same if I'm on public land during any rifle season. I just dont trust other hunters that I dont know. A lot of people around here have that "if its brown its down" mentality and its so thick vegetation wise that it can end poorly which it has several times over the years. You would hope that people would properly identify their targets before shooting but I can think of two instances off the top of my head where people have been shot while out running.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back