OR Hurricane Divide Rams

doja41

Hey everyone,

My best friend drew the Hurricane Divide Ram tag here in Oregon.

We have done 2 pack in scouting trips and only found ewes and goats. We have been unsuccessful at finding rams, now with the season only a month away the stress level is starting to hit him.

Have any of you drew it or really know the area? We have hit up the Lake Basin and around echo lake, but we didn’t fully make it to the top there.

Anyways, any info that your willing to share would be a lifesaver!

Thanks

If you know of a friend with an aircraft that can get over the tops easily (I don't know the highest elevations there), I'd fly the area, pay for his gas and if you ultimately take a good ram, buy him/her a good steak dinner and drinks. GJ

Last edited:
For every sheep hunt or specialty tag, regardless of unit a few basic things in my opinion should be researched.

Can you acquire a list of previous kill sites?

Does FG have much info on the herd? Any studies?

Are you a member of your state WSF chapter if there is one? If not join. Reach out. Ask questions. Find past tag holders.

Has anybody ever done a graduate project thesis on this sheep herd? Use google. If there is a masters program at UO or OSU start there. If you find one, read it.

Learn what sheep like, combine that with location knowledge from your research, identify specific places on google earth that meet these characteristics. Hike in there and scout them.

A previous tag holder that you know gave a good effort and knew what they were doing would be very valuable. I’d try hard to find one.

Back