Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Corned Elk Hash

shannerdrake

Had some leftover corned elk round and bunch of veggies out of the garden. Threw it together and made a summer hash.

1-2 tbl butter
1 yellow potato cubed
1 red potato cubed
1 small sweet potato cubed
2 stalks of celery sliced
1 small zucchini cubed
1/2 red bell pepper cubed
1/2 green bell pepper cubed
1/2-1lb corned elk cubed
Salt to taste

Cook potatoes and celery in butter until crispy and tender.

Add zucchini and peppers. Cook over medium high heat for 2-3 minutes just until zucchini softens. Added cubed elk, toss, and remove from heat. Serve as soon as elk is warmed through with hot sauce. A soft cooked egg on top is also nice.

A614BB15-4950-44CE-86E4-7A8C25962F06.jpg
63255EF4-511E-4782-8E2C-3DEECC301087.jpg

I would like to see the recipe as well. Always wanted to do corned elk just haven't really put it together. Looks delicious!!

Hank Shaw has a great corned venison recipe. If you google it, it will pop right up. I do a simpler version of his recipe. I also make a smaller batch as his makes more brine than I ever need.

Here is my recipe:
1 quart of water
1/4c of salt (I use Redmond Real Salt or Himilayan Salt)
3 tbl of sugar (or honey, or maple syrup)
2 teas of Instacure
3 tbl of pickling spice (I use “Frontier Bulk Pickling Spice” from Amazon)
3 smashed garlic cloves
3lb roast

Mix all the ingredients together then add to the roast. I like to put it in a ziplock bag and then put the bag in a bowl. Brine for 5 or more days. I have brined all the way up to 2 weeks and it was still great.

Put in a pot with just enough fresh water to cover roast. Simmer at just barely a bubble until tender. A slow cooker on low works well.

I then like to refrigerate it overnight in the cooking liquid so it firms up then I can get better slices or cubes.

I use a variation of Ruhlman's recipe. Similar to Hank's.
One suggestion on brines. Bring them to a boil to blend mix.Then cool it down before putting meat in.

One more vote for Hank Shaw's Corning recipe. This recipe is also my absolute favorite treatment for goose breast. My kids now beg me to hunt geese.

Semi-pro tip... once your corned meat is sufficiently boiled...toss it on a smoker for 45 minutes. Winner winner Saint Patrick's day dinner

I’ve been using a 5% brine plus 1tsp curing salt/5lbs meat along with “Corning spices” for elk as well as duck breast. I leave the meat covered in the fridge for 10-14 days then rinse and simmer in a pot of water plus more seasoning mix for several hours and it comes out great. I used to order seasoning from the Spice House online but I’ve found the “Pickling Spice” from Winco works fantastic as well.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back