MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

MS to MT or Bust!! Covered Trailer or Topper

I"m curious to see how this one goes as I think it just depends on if you have friends who bring just what is necessary or if they bring a lot of extra stuff. Start adding up 3 guys worth of gun cases, backpacks, coolers, stoves, propane, tents, cots, sleeping bags, clothes, etc and it can be quite a bit of stuff. If you are camping I would say topper and trailer would be useful but that is a long way to drag a trailer. If you are staying in motels I think it will work great and if you run out of room a hitch extender platform pictured above will work for a few things that won't fit.

Great find on the topper! Looks good and should be really handy for the trip and beyond.

Score! Had to drive 2.5 hours one way to go get it but well worth the trip for the price paid. Now to start checking on paint options. Rather than spend big money on color matching, I believe I'm going to go with UPOL Raptor Liner spray on. Stuff looks pretty good for a decent price.

View attachment 85542

View attachment 85543

Wow, that was a steal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My topper was in an accident and the insurance will pay for a NEW A.R.E. topper... $1495.00. Great buy.

On a side note: make sure you have really good topper clamps and at least 3 per side and 1-2 clamps up front of possible. Also check the tightness of the clamps at least once per year. Bumpy roads may loosen the clamps.

good luck to all
the dog

Last edited:
Here are a couple of motivational pics from my previous rig, Big Blue.......

Attachments

• trk4.jpg
    trk4.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 313
  • GEDC1111.JPG
    GEDC1111.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 315
  • GEDC1114.JPG
    GEDC1114.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 316
I need a topper because I work out of my truck but I love it for anything outdoors. Keep gear safe & dry & you can sleep in it too.

Looks great! If it were mine I'd leave it as-is. It looks fine. You've got enough room for everything you need but perhaps not everything you and your buddies might could bring. If it's optional and bulky I'd leave it. Go get 'em!

So I sanded down my red topper and then covered it in Raptor liner (cool stuff) and got it mounted and wired in. Turned out pretty good I think. We should definitely be able to do seven days out of this space.

24050B05-45B9-48C1-82CB-6A439360F423.jpg

So I sanded down my red topper and then covered it in Raptor liner (cool stuff) and got it mounted and wired in. Turned out pretty good I think. We should definitely be able to do seven days out of this space.

Think it looks great. Well done.

View attachment 86284

How the heck are wee suppose to recognize you without the red topper. Now it looks like some "black ops" vehicle :)

good luck to all
the dog

Wow. That turned out great. I was kind of shocked with everyone saying just a topper would be plenty of room. But when you said your not staying in a tent it should work great. Three to four of us make a 2000 mile round trip to WY. Every year and when we take a wall tent and cook tent with supplies for two weeks we have to have a topper and a pick up bed trailer with a topper. Even then it’s tight. I must be bringing to much stuff.

Back