Caribou Gear

Wyoming Unit 2 Advice

Peeksville

First timer heading to WY from WI to hunt antelope in Area 2. I have some maps but wondering if anyone has any Private Land contacts? Or a way to find some that may be willing to let us hunt - besides GIS maps.
Thanks in Advance!

First timer heading to WY from WI to hunt antelope in Area 2. I have some maps but wondering if anyone has any Private Land contacts? Or a way to find some that may be willing to let us hunt - besides GIS maps.
Thanks in Advance!

Welcome and good luck on that seeing as how it's pretty late to be asking that question with the seasons opening in just a few weeks. For the most part people have private land secured BEFORE they apply for a license unless there is plenty of accessible public land in their unit to hunt.

"Welcome and good luck on that seeing as how it's pretty late to be asking that question with the seasons opening in just a few weeks. For the most part people have private land secured BEFORE they apply for a license unless there is plenty of accessible public land in their unit to hunt. "

Our season doesn't start until Oct 1st and we aren't heading out til the middle of October. Just trying to get as much information as possible from as many sources as possible.

Last edited:
Best bet might be any place north of highway 212. Tough unit to hunt..... a few antelope and lots of private land. Like others have stated lots of land spoken for when tags are applied for. Very nice unit in the Black Hills.

good luck to all
the dog

Our season doesn't start until Oct 1st and we aren't heading out til the middle of October. Just trying to get as much information as possible from as many sources as possible.

It really makes no difference that the season starts 10/1 and when your'e going, as a lot of others have to hunt that same time to be legal. I'm aware of when the season starts there having hunted out in Wyoming every year since 1999. As I mentioned in my earlier post, MOST people don't apply for tags unless they already have private property locked up when there is very little accessible public land in a unit and unit 2 certainly qualifies and why it has the asterisk on the G&F website as hard access and why it tells you exactly what I have stated. You might try calling a local C of C in that unit to see if they have anyone on a list that might allow access along with calling the local GW and Biologist like our other member suggested. Good luck and be safe out there!

Last edited:
Long winded TopGun theories are easy to disprove. A BLM map or onX will help show you the way, along with a couple tanks of gas and a few walks.

Long winded TopGun theories are easy to disprove. A BLM map or onX will help show you the way, along with a couple tanks of gas and a few walks.

You must have not looked at a map of unit 2 Mr. Smart azz because there isn't a single piece of BLM that is over a couple hundred acres in size and the total in the unit is probably less than a section or two and most, if not all, is not legally accessible. Add in the limited state lands that are also mostly not legally accessible and that leaves the limited amount of NF that is generally not antelope country. There is, however one WIHA in the unit that is 1065 acres that is along the north side of state hwy 212 that the OP will want to take a look at. There are no HMAs in unit 2. You'd really be best to keep your access comments to Montana because in all the years I've hunted Wyoming for a couple months every year I've probably forgotten more about the state that you have even known about it. PS: I thought maybe you had changed your ways in making your wise cracks on the site, but I guess proper manners and courtesy are not your strong suits!

Last edited:
Unlike you - I’ve done way more than “look at a map” when it comes to that area. I must admit that cluelessness isn’t my thing when it comes to some things. My sincere apologies.

Unlike you - I’ve done way more than “look at a map” when it comes to that area. I must admit that cluelessness isn’t my thing when it comes to some things. My sincere apologies.

Again Mr. Smart azz, nowhere did I say that I haven't been in that unit or that what I posted was just from a map. Take your poor manners and lack of courtesy to your fellow members and stick them where the sun don't shine!

Who’s elk are you riding in your avatar?

None of your friggin business, but it would have been mine if I had the tag that year instead of my resident buddy and with that post of yours you are now going on the Ignore list. Funny you ask about Avatars when my buddy contacted Randy and he warned you to immediately take down the picture in your avatar of my buddy that killed that bull that you posted illegally on here a year or two ago, LOL! I do apologize to the other members that this DB completely sidetracked the thread!

Last edited:
To the OP. Unit 2 has plenty of small chunks of ground, legally accessible - that hold goats. Probably some decent bucks. Here are two that I personally field dressed 10 months ago in Montana taken on small public pieces off a main road or by taking a light walk. I hunted a half day. One was one mile from unit 2, the other maybe 10. It’s not rocket science - go get’m.
IMG_2268 - Copy (2).jpg

Last edited:
my buddy contacted Randy and he warned you to immediately take down the picture in your avatar of my buddy that killed that bull that you posted illegally on here a year or two ago

An "illegal" avatar? :D My new Avatar is on the Eastman's forum - you riding an elk and brandishing a dunce cap.

Last edited:
You must have not looked at a map of unit 2 Mr. Smart azz because there isn't a single piece of BLM that is over a couple hundred acres in size and the total in the unit is probably less than a section or two and most, if not all, is not legally accessible. Add in the limited state lands that are also mostly not legally accessible and that leaves the limited amount of NF that is generally not antelope country. There is, however one WIHA in the unit that is 1065 acres that is along the north side of state hwy 212 that the OP will want to take a look at. There are no HMAs in unit 2. You'd really be best to keep your access comments to Montana because in all the years I've hunted Wyoming for a couple months every year I've probably forgotten more about the state that you have even known about it. PS: I thought maybe you had changed your ways in making your wise cracks on the site, but I guess proper manners and courtesy are not your strong suits!

Wow topgun that’s about the most ridiculous post you’ve typed in a while I hope a few adult beverages were involved. It’s laughable that you think you know Wyoming better than guys like greenhorn. I’m pretty certain he has hunted Wyoming longer than you...and as far as the quality of animals he’s killed in Wyoming??? Let’s just say there isn’t even a comparison...in baseball terms greenhorn is starting in the majors...you’re still warming the bench in t-ball.

I get that you think you know it all about everything Wyoming...but owning a cdrom and cruising county road sites isn’t the whole story. It’s ok to say you just don’t know rather than pretend you do. It gets old...carry on.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back