Limited Opportunity

prhunter

Are the AZ limited opportunity elk hunts subject to the 10% cap??

I cannot find anything in their website regarding this matter. Thanks!

Give them a call @ (602)942-3000 they can clear up any questions you may have.:cool:

Are the AZ limited opportunity elk hunts subject to the 10% cap??

I cannot find anything in their website regarding this matter. Thanks!

Digging into the way way way back machine, I seem to remember Big Fin and Uncle Larry on a limited opportunity hunt (On Your Own Adventures era) where Randy mentioned the LO hunts are easier to draw, as fewer folks put in for the tag.

[video=youtube;UuhAGqK88vA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuhAGqK88vA[/video]

I called about this today and the person I talked to indicated that the "limited opportunity any elk" hunt are still subject to the 10% non resident cap. Would enjoy getting any feedback if anyone has other info. Randy Newberg mentions that these hunts are not subject to the non resident cap.

page 119 of the 2019-2020 regs;

"For antelope, antlered deer, bull elk, or turkey, no more than 10%, rounded down to the next lowest number, of the total hunt permit-tags in any hunt number"

I don't think the 10% quota applies to "any elk" or "antlerless" tags, it has nothing to do with "limited opportunity" or not. But I'm not betting any money on it.

So there are some LO hunts that are "bull elk"; 10% cap applies
Some LO are "any elk" or "antlerless". 10% cap does not apply

I'd guess the person cjparry2 talked to was incorrect, unless they just changed the rule.

I called about this today and the person I talked to indicated that the "limited opportunity any elk" hunt are still subject to the 10% non resident cap. Would enjoy getting any feedback if anyone has other info. Randy Newberg mentions that these hunts are not subject to the non resident cap.

What you were told by the AZ G&F person was not correct. JRABQ has your answer.

In the unit below, 38 of 150 tags went to non-residents in 2018. That is 25.33%. A slightly lower % in 2019, but still way over the 10% cap.
Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 7.38.30 PM.png

In the unit below, for 2019, 27 of the 150 tags went to non-residents. That is 18%. They all went on 1st and 2nd choice. In 2017, 18 of the 150 went to NR's, or 12%.
Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 7.34.23 PM.png

page 119 of the 2019-2020 regs;

"For antelope, antlered deer, bull elk, or turkey, no more than 10%, rounded down to the next lowest number, of the total hunt permit-tags in any hunt number"

I don't think the 10% quota applies to "any elk" or "antlerless" tags, it has nothing to do with "limited opportunity" or not. But I'm not betting any money on it.

So there are some LO hunts that are "bull elk"; 10% cap applies
Some LO are "any elk" or "antlerless". 10% cap does not apply

I'd guess the person cjparry2 talked to was incorrect, unless they just changed the rule.
JRABQ, Thank you!! Extremely helpful!!

What you were told by the AZ G&F person was not correct. JRABQ has your answer.

In the unit below, 38 of 150 tags went to non-residents in 2018. That is 25.33%. A slightly lower % in 2019, but still way over the 10% cap.
View attachment 127640

In the unit below, for 2019, 27 of the 150 tags went to non-residents. That is 18%. They all went on 1st and 2nd choice. In 2017, 18 of the 150 went to NR's, or 12%.
View attachment 127641
Big Fin, I'm still scratching my head not sure how it all works, but I get the feeling I need to go a layer deeper into the numbers. Thanks for sharing these gems.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back