Ear Protection in the Field (Big Game Hunting)

What is your approach to hearing protection in the field while big game hunting?

• Ear protection is left in the shooting bag when I am in the field

Votes: 36 43.9%
  • I carry ear protection with me, sometimes I remember to put them in

Votes: 27 32.9%
  • I carry ear protection and always remember to put them in

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • I wear them full time (and they are e-plugs that allow me to still hear)

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I wear them full time (and they are old-school, I hunt in silence)

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
Been working hard the last few years to get my ear protection in while hunting. At 29, I have ear trouble already in one ear, and I decided I would very much like to NOT have problems in my other ear. My wife has an enclosed deer stand and a muzzle break- she wears hers fulltime

I don't wear any while big game hunting.
I occasionally wear it while hunting birds with a shotgun but not often enough.
I always wear it while target shooting but the years that I didn't wear any protection did a lot of damage.

I've owned a pair for two seasons, but finally broke down and started using them last season and wish I hadn't waited so long. If I'm still hunting or stalking I prefer to wear them, because I can hear movement a lot better. Plus it's nice to shoot and not have your head ringing while in the woods. The first time I killed something while wearing them was unexpectedly smooth. The exception to wearing them are mornings with heavy dew, windy days, or hunting with someone that doesn't know how to walk through the woods. The additional noise is overwhelming and harder to pick up on an animal. I haven't dove hunted with them yet, but if 100 degrees they might stay in the bag then too.
Eventually I might upgrade to something less bulky, but these do fine for now.
https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leigh..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=6N0HQMXK3CPZ7GYMD3ZT

I'm also 26 and already have hearing damage in my right ear from shooting, so I think it's worth taking care of the best I can.

Last edited:
I dont wear them while big game hunting. But probably should, fortunately I dont actually shoot that much while big game hunting. There are some pretty good ones with directional mic's and speakers to help you sound locate where noises are coming from.
They are great for waterfowl hunting. I wouldn't go back.

I don't wear them while big game hunting as i generally only shoot once or twice. I always wear hearing protection at the range.

Just picked up some cheapo ear plug thingies that I can hang around my neck during the hunt. Got sick of blasting my ear drums. That being said: I haven't worn hearing protection for hunting anything besides ducks.

I always wear protection at the range.

I'll use muffs if it's convenient, but in the wide open spaces in WY, the muzzle blast is a lot less noticeable.

I have passive plugs that westone makes. Custom molded at the audiologist. They cost me $150 if I remember correctly. They were originally for bird hunting but when I started big game I figured I'd use them for that as well. If it is windy I can't hear as well but pulling my hat over my ears cuts most of the wind noise.

I was born deaf in my left ear so hearing protection is a MUST for me. I usually keep an orange foam plug in my deaf ear while I'm walking/glassing then just before I shoot I switch it over to my good ear. I'ver never missed an opportunity because if this extra step but if I ever do, I'll be ok with it. My hearing is way more important to me than any animal I may or may not get a chance at.

When I'm bird hunting I always wear electronic hearing protection.

I really should get into bow hunting, then I wouldn't have to even think about it.

I spend many more hours chasing birds with shotguns, than big game and have always used ear protection in the field for that. What type of ear protection has been a function of budget. For a long time it was 5 cent foam plugs, then it was $5 Peltor/3M plugs, then it was one-size fits all e-ear plugs and recently custom molded e-ear plugs. For big game I would carry the cheap foam plugs and was pretty good about putting them in when a shot opportunity arose. Since moving to e-ear plugs for upland, I use those for big game full time as well. At the range, I find the e-plugs not quite as good for the volume of shooting and use muffs or custom molded "dumb" plugs.

I put in some quality "in the ear canal" plugs when rifle hunting. Helps some. Part of hearing damage is from vibrations against the jaw bone rather than the sound wave so you are mitigating rather than not incurring cumulative damage to your hearing.

The last time I shot a deer (1 shot from my 30-06) I had ringing in my ears that has not stopped (tinnitus). I bought a suppressor (about the same cost as my rifle) but if I hadn't done that, I might have given up rifle hunting altogether. I have been bow hunting for 10 yrs now and enjoy it more anyway.

I first got hearing aid's at 32 - my loss is due to shooting and an insane number of ear drum ruptures as a kid.

I try to always remember to put them in prior to the shot, but have forgotten a few times in the last 10 years. I am moving towards suppressor's, especially for my kids.

I have passive plugs that westone makes. Custom molded at the audiologist. They cost me $150 if I remember correctly. They were originally for bird hunting but when I started big game I figured I'd use them for that as well. If it is windy I can't hear as well but pulling my hat over my ears cuts most of the wind noise.
That's what I've been doing for the last 15 years or more. I bet I've shot 50 animals with them in, and zero without them. I walk around with them partially in my ears and twist them in when I'm ready to shoot. It's as natural as pushing a safety. In fact, sometimes I have a momentary panic that I've left them at home when I'm bowhunting.

The next pair will probably be some sort of active noise blocking ones. The passives don't work very well if you are trying to get your kid ready to shoot and he is asking you questions like "should I shoot?"

I do not wear hearing protection while hunting big game. If I started dove hunting again I would definately wear my electronic ear protection.

The next pair will probably be some sort of active noise blocking ones. The passives don't work very well if you are trying to get your kid ready to shoot and he is asking you questions like "should I shoot?"

+1, teaching my son to hunt was what caused me to buy my first e-plugs -- and then getting him a pair so he could hear my answer :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back