MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Tough Decisions For Old Dogs

My "allergies" are kicking in just reading this thread. I too went through this last June. 15 year old chocolate lab. Once I removed my feelings from the decision it became very clear that it was time.

Fond memories, GH. Sorry for your family's loss. Amazing how powerful the bond is formed between family and dog.

We have several rat terriers. The largest just quit. Laying in the bathroom and not eating. I have been following this thread and What The Hell.

My daughters dog that we have had for several years. Called the daughter and told her she had one day to see her. She visited with Broady and said her ear was oozing and crusty. Wasn't before and she has had ear problems for years. Called the vet and can drop her off and may get to her. Not a chance in hell. We have had dogs for 30 years thru this clinic and we have a dying dog.

I have access to pain meds and antibiotics and will deal with it myself. The vet clinic used to be run by a great vet. He is retired for 10 years. Tried to stay in the same practice. Changing vets next week.

Probably overreacting. Dog may be dying and I have lost my patience with the current clinic.

I have lost 3 dogs in my arms and it hurts. Do not want to do it again.

Not attempting to steal the thread but it is relevant.

Broady was at the vet 2 weeks ago!

Sorry to hear it GH
tough to lose them, even when you know their time is done here.

I hate having dogs for just this reason, but know that my life would suck without a dog or 3.

I don't have any advice. I've only had to put one dog down, about 4 others died in accidents, and one died of sickness. Which looking back while traumatic, was way easier to deal with than waiting for the "day" to come. I'm not nearly as attached to the dogs I have now as the last one I put down, but I still am not looking forward the day when it comes. they are 7 and 8 now.

Sorry to hear about Bear GH. Sucks, but he had a good life and your families was richer for it. They give so much and expect so little in return. I have no idea why dogs even hang with humans.

having to make the call on putting down your best friend is not easy, I have always looked at it as a quality of life issue. Once the dog is in pain and not enjoying their life why make them suffer? I agree with the in home route if you can, I always wanted to make sure my furry friends were comfortable as weird as that sounds. Best of luck.

Had to put down my Golden, Gunner , a few years ago. 13 years, not bad for a big male retriever. Taught my daughter how to walk. She’d pull herself up on him, hang on to his fur, @ she’d bumble along side him. Got cancer, @ lost control of his bowels, had to do the right thing for him. Cried all the way home. Still think about that dog,pretty sure that was my one good dog.Know how u feel GH.

This was a meaningful thread for me and I got a lot of value out of everyone's stories, as well as the PMs. Since it is done I'll share mine.

The day I wrote the OP I made an appointment to put Abby down the next day. That evening we took the kids to swimming lessons, and when we returned home I opened the door to a dog with wagging tail and a ball in its mouth. My heart was in a submission hold and I tapped. I called the vet and said I didn't know what I wanted to do but wanted them to take a look at her so I could discuss whether or not this needed to be done now. One thing that had made this decision so challenging was the up-and-down nature of her cancer in the last stage of her life. One day she would seem bummed and in pain, the next she'd want to go swimming and play fetch. For the sake of the dog, I felt it was better to be a bit too early than too late.

So we upped her meds and gave her another week. That week she just seemed more doped up, and not in any less pain. In fact for four or five days she just kind of seemed depressed, and didn't get up and do much at all outside of eat and use the bathroom. On Friday we decided it was time, and made an appointment for the following Monday(yesterday). Over the weekend she perked up, we played fetch and went swimming, and we loved on her and fed her bacon and sausage. Knowing that the end was coming was heart wrenching, but I felt we were doing the right thing. Her bad days were outnumbering the good ones.

Yesterday we did it. As I blubbered over her she nuzzled into my wife and I, and I was overcome with shame that in her last moment when I was to be comforting her, she was comforting us. I buried her in my field overlooking the Elkhorns. The last thing we did together was take her swimming, where Clancy Creek pours into Prickly Pear Creek. Not having any weight on her joints while swimming in the water she was burning bright, and I threw sticks for her for an hour. She'd lose track of the stick and swim against the current, with little more than her tail for propulsion, she was stationary in heaven and hopefully still is.

Attachments

• FinalCreekSwim.JPG
    FinalCreekSwim.JPG
    230.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Stationary.jpg
    Stationary.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
I just lost my Dad to Alzheimer's this past Feb. For the point I'll try to delicately take, it could have been Cancer, Parkinson's, AIDS, or pick your terminal disease of choice.

To tell you the truth, it tore my soul apart to have to witness his looong decline and ungracious end. He deserved better.

I feel a dignified cessation of a painful situation (for ALL concerned) shows your love far far beyond one's reluctance to admit the end has come. It comes to all of us.

Sorry Bro.

Last edited:
So sorry buddy. You did the right thing. Ours is getting over a bout of pnemonia. The sicknesses get closer together, and her quality of life is getting worse but she keeps on trucking. Very much not looking forward to that day.

Man this is a super sad thread - makes me heart broken to think about my two getting up there in age. Sorry for everyone's losses, its just as hard as losing a family member.

Oh man... Absolutely amazing how dogs never stop loving! Hell, wiped a few tears reading your last, Bret. Sorry for your family's loss though you and your family honored that love given as best possible.

Thanks for sharing.

After I put my Lab down, I said no more dogs, but the rest of the family overruled me and now we have another. I completely dread the day I have to put him down too. Very sorry for your loss!!!!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back