Tough Decisions For Old Dogs

Great discussion about a painful topic. We sent Rufus over the bridge a few months ago. He was a rescued Vizsla, age unknown but over 13. From doing rescue for many years, I'd say my wife and I don't wait as long as we used to in deciding to pull the plug. In Rufus' case, the less mobile he got, the more anxious he became. Like many dogs he was stoic RE pain, giving no indication except hip weakness/stumbling. I keep in mind that the pet is relying on me to make that decision, so I consider the pet's needs above the family's readiness.

Also we had Rufus and his predecessor Fred euthanized @ our home, which was much easier on the dogs and the family.

Condolences to all in the time of these difficult decisions. I can't say it ever gets easier.

Tough decisions, you have my sympathies. When my last lab was sick, I had an appointment with the vet in the evening. I had to carry him upstairs, and he died in his sleep an hour later.

Its been a few years now but we had to put our buddy to sleep at 10 1/2. We was limping pretty bad and had a hard time getting up. When we took him to the vet he had bone cancer and his one leg had broke and his pelvis was like swiss cheese. They had to sedate him to take x rays so we decided then to not wake him back up and just let him go. Heartbreaking but he didn't suffer.

In my younger days, I spent a couple of years working for a veterinarian and assisted with the euthanasia of a lot of animals. I commend your deliberation. Like people, not two dogs are the same. However, sometimes it helps to consider that this is another step toward whatever God has planned for you next.

Holy crap I had to scroll through these, had me all sorts of choked up even thinking about when that day would come and just reading your guyss responses. As most have said the dog will let you know when it's time, the last lab we had to put down she wouldn't eat much, skin and bones, and she'd lay in the bathroom all day. She was only 6 with heart cancer.

The best thing the vet told us was she was ready to go and was holding on to ensure we were ready for her to go.

I wish you the very best of luck, it's a tough decision to make.

I feel for you. Putting down one of our fur babies is so hard. I used to have the mindset of alot of guys posting above me, "you'll know when it's time", but I've come to realize for me personally, what that really means is when I have been able to finally accept it. Looking back, I should have made that ride to the vet a little earlier if it was really about my dog

You will know.
Been there to many times in the past. It's never easy.

As a DVM I agree with the above quote. You will know when it's time. With that stated even though you know it's time.... most people wait longer then it should be (me included). I have lost 5 great hunting buddies and it's never any easier. Yep, I am a crier and the tears flow for days before and after.

Look for a vet that will travel to your house for the procedure. That has helped me in the past, there is a company where I live that provides an in home service. Knowing that my dogs were in the comfort of their home at their favorite place, rather than taking them to an unknown or uncomfortable place. It never seems to be the right time, until the time passes and it's been done. As the healing starts from parting from your friend, you will actually understand more that it was the right time for them.

Also right on. I have also found that a few days before I give them as many ear rubs, belly scratches, treats and hunts (yep I put quail out and go for one last hunt if possible), walk, swim or ice cream that I can. I really make sure that they know, beyond a doubt how much they are LOVED. I ask a fellow DVM to come to my house as I hold "MY BEST FRIEND".

good luck to all
the dog

This is exactly the reason I dont have a dog I've seen too many grown men bawl their eyes out when that time comes . Hell ive even cried with them a few times . I'm very sorry for what you are going through and I agree she will let you know . Im sorry man

I have had to put down three pets over the years. I waited about 6 months too long on the first dog.

She was a Shiba Inu we had adopted at 6 and usually live to 12 though she made 15. This breed has a curly tail and is fearless in defending. We noticed about a year before we put her down that some days the tail was in a submissive position as walked. She would sometimes stand up and stare at the wall for several minutes until we called her name then would look confused. One bad day every week or so became two bad days in a row some weeks and at the end was only having bad days. Scared. Confused. Not recognizing us at times. We should have put here down before she was constantly in panic mode.

The next pet was adopted at 2 and years later had a stroke at 16 and made her deaf and blind plus motor skill issues so she never came home from the vet's office.

The next dog was a stray and lived another 10 years. When he was struggling to walk even with pain even with meds then we put him down. Metastasized cancer. Would take 30 minutes to go on the short walk to the front of the yard and back. He might have had a few good days left but not many and the pain was difficult to watch.

I was reluctant to get another dog. I am older and gazing out another 10 years I am nearing the 1% point on the mortality table where 1,000 or more of 100,000 from my birth year are expected to die annually with the numbers getting more aggressive year by year. Who would take in the dog if I ended up in assistant living or dropped/flopped. We travel more now than 10 years ago so leaving the dog boarded during our trips seemed unfair. We adopted a small 20 month old dog under 10 pounds so fits under the seat in the airplane. Has almost 50 roundtrips with us on Southwest Air. Several road trips in the car.

It's now day by day with mine a 13.5 years old lab. He's slow, but still happy and eats, drinks and does his business all on his own. He's on a lot of meds though and gets short of breath too easy.

Yeah, we're in the same boat. 12 year old lab/St. Bernard mix. She just had a big bout of Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis but bounced back. She has spinal degeneration, but can still get up and walk around, loves to eat and go for short walks (around the block is all). Her hearing and eyesight are going. But, so long as she's happy and ambulatory, she's going to be with us. Not looking forward to the day though. Sorry folks have to go through this, but it's the price you pay for so much love in such a furry package.

Good luck to all.

Im sorry you are going through this! Its the single most difficult decision I have ever had to make! I was single and 25 when I got my first Australian Shepherd. He was my very best friend for 16 years!! His back legs stopped working and I was left with a horrible decision. He would have crawled to a frisbee if i threw it to him. He guarded this house with every ounce of what he had left until his dying day. For me, it all came down to quality of life. I forced myself to take "me" out of the equation and only focus on him. It was all about his dignity for me. Now I'm all choked up......and that will never go away. Rest in peace Jacob!! 1997-2013

Last edited:
The companionship you get from the pup will never leave you, the memories will seem real time. They never leave your side when they are no longer with you.
We've made this decision many times and I've always felt proud to have helped my friend finally have painless peace and rest. Hell, our one cat, gone 6 years now, is still in the house, we see and hear her often. It's not easy but don't put off the decision because your afraid you'll make the wrong one, you will do the right thing for your friend.

My greatest bloodhound mix routed with me through my younger years of life. 13 years as we crossed the country. He picked up something serious during a trek from N. Carolina to L.A. and weakened daily. I held his head as the vet put him down. One of the few tough days of my life.

Dogs - nothing but love for their caretakers through life. So special. Memories...

A challenging time in life to make the decision. I wish you the best, Bret. When that time comes, you will know - as hard as it is, you will know.

We said our goodbyes to Bear yesterday. He was struggling to breath, and even walking outside was tiring him. His chest was full of tumors and his heart was struggling to keep up. He had a comfortable last day, tons of treats, a big bowl of ice cream, and one last long stand in the sprinkler. We are going to miss him.
F7BBF8A0-0DF1-4D1A-A829-B731B8BD01AF.jpg
F3C9004D-E122-4E79-81F1-9C57B224DB1E.jpg

It's always tough.
Sorry Greenhorn.
You will know, Nameless when it is time. My last girl, Zoey, gave me a look after I carried her in from doing her business. I will never forget the look in her eyes. I could read her mind - She was asking for relief.
I miss her everyday.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back