Alaska License Calendar Year

AvidIndoorsman

Trying to make sure I'm not messing anything up with two upcoming Alaska hunts.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here.
POW Bear
You have to buy a 2018 Hunting License to apply for the permit in Dec 2017, License is good from 1/2018 to 12/2018 if you draw the permit then you have to buy an additional License for 1/2019-12/2019 to actually hunt

So essentially if someone want to just hunt POW for bears you would have to buy two hunting licenses because even though the draw permits are on a fall-spring season the base hunting license is on a regular calendar year?

I'm hunting 2018 anyway for Caribou, but I realized the locking tag says it expires in 2018. So if I don't harvest a caribou in Aug I can't use it on a bear next spring?... even through its on the same draw year.

Seems like if this is true there should be a disclaimer in the guide not to buy your locking tag for spring bear until Jan of 2019, I can see someone buying their tag when they draw and getting screwed.

I was able to buy a 2019 license in December 2017, which seemed to make sense as I was applying for spring 2019 hunts.

I was able to buy a 2019 license in December 2017, which seemed to make sense as I was applying for spring 2019 hunts.

I'm sure I had the option as well if that's the case... interesting though because I went on the website and currently I can only buy a 2018 license... even though I already hold one.

It just seems screwy that there are two different systems.

Trying to make sure I'm not messing anything up with two upcoming Alaska hunts.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here.
POW Bear
You have to buy a 2018 Hunting License to apply for the permit in Dec 2017, License is good from 1/2018 to 12/2018 if you draw the permit then you have to buy an additional License for 1/2019-12/2019 to actually hunt

So essentially if someone want to just hunt POW for bears you would have to buy two hunting licenses because even though the draw permits are on a fall-spring season the base hunting license is on a regular calendar year?

I'm hunting 2018 anyway for Caribou, but I realized the locking tag says it expires in 2018. So if I don't harvest a caribou in Aug I can't use it on a bear next spring?... even through its on the same draw year.

Seems like if this is true there should be a disclaimer in the guide not to buy your locking tag for spring bear until Jan of 2019, I can see someone buying their tag when they draw and getting screwed.

Its crap like this that made my head hurt the first 10-12 years I lived here. :) A phone call to F&G is in order, followed by a call to a wildlife trooper (hopefully in the area you will be hunting) to verify and stay away from any citations. Be sure to get the trooper's name (hopefully unneeded) for any questions later.

It may be possible to use a small game license number (MUCH cheaper than a big game hunting license) for future draw applications. Its is something to check on, at any rate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back