PEAX Equipment

Wyoming bighorn area 1

mxgust

Does anyone have any experience in this area? I hit the tag lottery this year and am currently doing some summer scouting for a DIY trip this fall. I’m a resident so the Wyoming wilderness law isn’t an issue

I have spent quite a bit of time in that area hunting mountain goats the past 2 years. We did see rams at Guitar Lake when we were scouting 2 years ago so that's an area to check out.

Pilot and Index and the country just south of it right up to the Park line is where J’d look first.

Thank you everyone! I haven't made it into that part of the unit yet, I've been spending some time a little farther south but I will definitely check it out

There have been two thesis , I believe they were through Montana State University done on that heard and it’s migration

They can be found online. I would recommend reading them

I found the Montana state one. That is a tremendous resource. Thanks for the tip on that!

Thanks to everyone who had some input for me. I'm late on posting this but I managed to find a decent ram on day 7 of a solo backpack trip and my dad met me to help pack it out. The first few drainages I went into turned up nothing but ewes and yearlings but on the third I managed to find a group of rams and got the job done on a 5 year old

IMG_1028.jpg
IMG_1026.jpg

The last I heard, which was with only a few days left in the season only 6 out of 20 Unit 1 tags had been filled at that time, 3 of them being by the same outfitter. Sounds like winter got some last year.
Congrats

Thank you! The tips did get broken. It was a bit of a rodeo getting him off the hill. I managed to recover one though and the taxidermist got it glued back on for me

MTGomer- Really? I met one group of locals early scouting and met some guys coming down who killed on opening weekend but I hadn't heard much since then. That could explain why I was having such a hard time finding Rams. Wyo game and fish has the harvest data year to year which includes drainages and I finally got mine in one that isn't one of the common ones. I hit the hot spots early I didn't see much of anything

Not too bad actually. I saw two grizz in the summer scouting and one drainage I hiked through had very fresh sign but I never bumped the bear and I was just passing through. Overall it was a pretty quiet on the bear front for me up there. All the sign I saw was concentrated down in the creek bottoms when I was hiking in and out but when I got up into the sheep areas it was mostly clear

gust, congrats on your ram. Very cool that you got to do it with your dad as well. Thanks for letting us know how your hunt turned out. Great experience.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back