Tactics for Ground Blind Whitetails

MN_Bowhunter4

In MN we can’t leave blinds up overnight on certain public. What tactics have others used for “set and hunt” using pop up blinds? Assume brushing in will be the key, but curious what others think.

I carry a spool of fishing string with me on my hunts. Tie some branches together and twigs or grass to brush in and that's it. I've had good luck with it, especially when you have a few cedars right next to each other.

If you take the time to "brush-in" a blind (and you should), just do the same thing without the pop-up. Brush-in a little spot and enjoy a hunt that doesn't feel like you're sitting indoors.

I hear you on the natural blind. However this particular piece is mostly CRP so I’d be setting up on a hedgerow funnel. It lacks for trees and I can’t cut anything on the public either per regs. So the pop up is really my best option other than a Ghillie suit. Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming!

Have you looked into the GhostBlind?

Basically a big mirror the folds up into 4 sections. Looks interesting and i would love to give one a try someday.

The key to OTG hunting is to setup in a new spot , frequently. Just brush in and take a small chair. My favorite way to hunt whitetails once I got older and lazier. A far cry from sitting 40ft up a pine tree, much safer and more enjoyable. Just remember to surprise them by setting up in new spots.

I hunt in a lot of standing corn fields and don't want to cut down the farmer's crop so I will take either zip-ties or some plastic utility clamps and "tie" a few stalks together. Usually this gives me enough of a shooting lane out of the field but it takes a little practice to get it right on the first try. A system like that could work in CRP or hedgerows. No cutting, no bulky gear to haul, and very very cheap.

All great ideas. I'll be getting back out there this weekend to have a look around and see what I can scrounge up for blind-making material.

Watermag - I haven't seen one of those ghostblinds personally but saw them online. Definitely a unique idea but you'd have to pay particular attention to the sun when using it.

Very true about the sun. I saw one at Cabelas e few months back but didnt have the time to check it out that close. But it did seam kinda on the heavy side?

typically using whatever natural branches/foliage is around is best, since it matches the surrounding. I've purchased some folding garden fences from the dollar story. about three feet high, made from willows or something, super cheap, folds up small and they are light.
A few other pointers - non scented lip chap on the zipper to keep it quiet when getting in and out. Or on the hub design blinds if you take a bit of pressure off the zipper by pulling in slightly on the hub or support bars (dont collapse the hub tho).
I like to leave windows that dont have a shooting lane completely closed (no view through them). Less chance of getting busted. Clear out the leaves etc where your feet will be in the ground blind. If you are trying for a quiet set up, sometimes i'll clear the leaves out during a rattling sequence, kicking the leaves out of the way, and trying to get down to mud.

I'd just roll with a ghillie suit. That way you can brush in a blind or sit in the middle of the CRP. It'll be hot but if you're sneaky you can get it done.

People in the Midwest will think you are nuts bowhunting from the ground, but it does work. I've always just gone the "natural bind" route. Got a 6 point buck from the ground on public land-probably one of my more memorable moments. You can hunt anywhere and it opens up a lot of spots where one cannot use a treestand- which equals less pressure. Good luck

I have a asat leafy suit in would not hesitate to sit in from of some brush with. If nothing else carry one of those camo (or not) burlap sheets and string it across some branches or bring step in garden posts and make a small blind. Did that both in the deer woods as well as some ponds for waterfowl.

I use a length of camo mosquito netting attached to 4 each poly coated garden stakes with tiewraps to set up a three sided temporary blind. For long sits I'll use a folding canvas chair or if running and gunning gobblers I'll use a collapsible 3 legged camp stool with a carry strap but often just hunker down on my knees for shorter stints. The blind weighs less than a pound and can easily be wadded and rolled into a size carryable in one hand.

Ground blinds can be great for when you don’t have a tree to hang a stand but man, I try to limit ground blind hunting as much as I can. I just feel like I’m missing deer I can’t see!

Also, I feel like I get lackadaisical in a blind. Like I feel like I can get away with more movement and kind of get sloppy. Sometimes though, it’s your only option.

Get a comfy chair that doesn’t make noise when you shift your weight

Ive had a ghost blind for three years and have used it extensively for predator and turkey hunting. Ive only used it a couple of times for whitetail but each time it has done its job. The only issue I have with it at all is that it is cumbersome to get into the woods.

I have a little portable blind that is noting more than 4 extendable stakes with a 3 ft x 10 ft piece of cloth attached. Easy to carry and setup/take down.Works great for covering up your body and legs.

I have also had success using Cedar trees for blinds if you have any.

Back