Hunting Wyoming state land

338 win mag

Are there any hunting restrictions that apply to Wyoming state lands in particular that wouldn't normally apply to National Forest or BLM. We had a run in with a landowner last year who claimed we crossed his land while heading towards some BLM. Both my OnX and 2 paper maps clearly showed it was state owned. That being said, someone was using it as a hay storage area for cattle. Were we in the wrong? I kindly explained I had 3 current maps that showed we were on public and he rode off. We'll be hunting the same unit again this year so I want to be sure. There are other areas that have some hay fields that are state owned that I'd like to hunt this fall but I want to be in the right side of the law. Thanks in advance

He rode off because you were right. It seems like camping might not be allowed on state land.

"...All state lands that can be legally accessed are open to hunting and fishing unless otherwise posted or classified as cultivated crop land or closed by the board, on its own motion or upon request of the surface lessee..." I paraphrased a little but that's the meat and potatoes of it from the state lands regulations. All the information can be found under chapter 13 in the state lands regulations if you want to read up on it.

Last edited:
"...All state lands that can be legally accessed are open to hunting and fishing unless otherwise posted or classified as cultivated crop land or closed by the board, on its own motion or upon request of the surface lessee..." I paraphrased a little but that's the meat and potatoes of it from the state lands regulations. All the information can be found under chapter 13 in the state lands regulations if you want to read up on it.

Awesome, thanks! You know the unit in question too!

Back