Loading Data; Starting Loads?

I might add one more thing. If you always load to the direction's your manual give you, you will never have a problem with unsafe loads. Just works out that way. Tested and approved by lawyer's!

Yep. That's why I don't get overly concerned with starting a grain or so below book max and working up from there. Some get bent out of shape over it though.

Yep. That's why I don't get overly concerned with starting a grain or so below book max and working up from there. Some get bent out of shape over it though.

If your experience says that your final load ends up being closer to or over the max listed in the manuals then it makes sense that you should start closer to the top. It's usually what I do.

I might add one more thing. If you always load to the direction's your manual give you, you will never have a problem with unsafe loads. Just works out that way. Tested and approved by lawyer's!

If it always works that way then what are the starting loads for? Fun?

Go read a manual. I’m sure any one you pick up will say to start low and work up.

As I said before, powders vary lot to lot. Bullet makers have even been know to change an ogive every now and then.

Go read a manual. I’m sure any one you pick up will say to start low and work up.

Im just speculating but I think Don was stating to follow the manual instructions as in start low and work up and don't exceed max load.

Last edited:

Im just speculating but I think Don was stating to follow the manual instructions as in start low and work up and don't exceed max load.

Well if that’s the case then I owe Don an apology. I read it to say that max loads listed in a manual are always ok.

Back