MSR Wind burner vs Jetboil Sumo

Funhunter

I am going on an elk hunt this fall and want to buy a stove but can't decide between these two. I like the fact that all of the components are self contained for storage but I am looking for reliability and functionality advice.

I can't speak for the MSR, but I love my Jetboil. Very reliable, heats water quickly, and is compact. If you buy the smallest fuel containers then it fits right inside the Jetboil along with all the other components. The sparker on my Jetboil has always worked first click, but I'd recommend carrying a lighter too (not that you should be on a hunt without a lighter anyway).

I can't speak for the MSR, but I love my Jetboil. Very reliable, heats water quickly, and is compact. If you buy the smallest fuel containers then it fits right inside the Jetboil along with all the other components. The sparker on my Jetboil has always worked first click, but I'd recommend carrying a lighter too (not that you should be on a hunt without a lighter anyway).

have you ever had issues with the burner working in wind?

I've had a couple of JetBoils, flash and sol. I have the Windburner now. I prefer the windburner by a little, but both are good. It's very noticeably more effective in the wind. It's not that often that I can't cook behind shelter, but when I can't it does make a difference.

is there a reason for going with MSR or is it just user preference?

Jetboil is a anti-hunting company. A friend of mine had his burner fall apart on him 3 days into a week long elk hunt. When he contacted Jetboil to get it replaced they told him he was using it wrong and that is why it failed. I have a MSR Pocket Rocket and it has never let me down in over a decade of use.

Jetboil is a anti-hunting company. A friend of mine had his burner fall apart on him 3 days into a week long elk hunt. When he contacted Jetboil to get it replaced they told him he was using it wrong and that is why it failed. I have a MSR Pocket Rocket and it has never let me down in over a decade of use.

is there something that says that they are anti hunting somewhere or just their reaction to your friends issue?

Is it a fact that Jet Boil is anti hunting ? I was going to order a new stove and landed on the JetBoil but this would certainly take them off my list ?

Back