Colorado trout question

schmalts

Me and my son are taking a road trip next week. I want him to really see some good trout fishing. That being said, would you hit the streams, or mountain lakes on hikes? We will be using spinning rods, not fly fishing. And can anyone tell me if the kokanee will be running up out of Blue mesa by August 10th give or take or is it too early? I watched guys fishing that a few years ago muzz season, looked like a blast.

Me and my son are taking a road trip next week. I want him to really see some good trout fishing. That being said, would you hit the streams, or mountain lakes on hikes? We will be using spinning rods, not fly fishing. And can anyone tell me if the kokanee will be running up out of Blue mesa by August 10th give or take or is it too early? I watched guys fishing that a few years ago muzz season, looked like a blast.

Normally, I'd say hit the rivers, but this year has been pretty rough. Water levels are low and temps are high. Many of the major systems have been getting above 68 degree water temps in the afternoon. There are voluntary closures on the Colorado, Eagle, Roaring Fork, Gunnison and Arkansas

The high lakes have been great this year. Get some bubbles and soft-hackles/wooly buggers/caddis dries to put behind them and a handful of spoons and spinners and you should have a blast. Lots of lakes around Gunny/Blue Mesa if that's where you're headed. The Taylor, as a bottom draw dam, will be fishable all day.

You're probably early for the Kokanee run. Usually that gets going later, but you never know.

Good luck and post pics!

Agree with cedahm, too early for the Koke run. They are starting to school up in the deep part of the lake, so you'll need a boat to get to them.

There are voluntary closures on the Colorado, Eagle, Roaring Fork, Gunnison and Arkansas.

Add the Yampa to that list. Went down last weekend and found that out, opted to stay out of the river and just found some things to do around Steamboat. But the fellas at the fly shop said the mountain lakes had been good, especially those around Walden.

Hope you guys run into some fish and good luck.

The few high lakes we hit were duds for us. One had a good number of brook trout but we never landed a cut. Smaller creeks were great but my kid got a little tired of them. My boy had a 20 inch plus brown snap the line trying to land it. I landed a couple trout in the 16 inch range and lost a hog. We made one long 12 mile round trip to a high county lake but chose a dud, at least for us. Didn't hear about the volunteer closures, must have been after we talked to the fly shops. Some of the southern small creeks that rely on snow melt were really bad for sure. FUN TRIP

Attachments

• 20180810_094535.jpg
    20180810_094535.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Hit the reservoirs in south park. Antero, Spinny and 11 mile. Cant go wrong with any of them. The trout are huge....and good pike fishing at 11 mile and spinny. A boat/kayak is best but you can certainly do well from shore also. Go early as possible and don't tell my friends I told you!!

Last edited:
Anyone have any info on the occupied body bag we saw the search and rescue were hauling out at the san Isabel trailhead north of Crestone?

Last edited:
Back