Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Bullet not grouping

I've had groups tighten up by changing primers. Have you tried any other powders?

No I have only use H1000 so far. And have been using CCI magnum primers

Are you loading to magazine length or can you get to the lands? Have you measured your distance to lands?
I would also load a bit higher and see what happens.

Sometimes you need to push past what is listed as "max" to see if it really is maximum.
I can hear all the people cringing and crying about my last statement. But in reality those posted numbers are only a guide to keep us from having to start from scratch guessing.

Move up in small incrimates and constantly check for over pressure sighns like a hard lifting bolt and it will all be OK.
Every chamber is not like the other and bullet seating depth will alter pressure greatly.
Once true over pressure is seen, back it down some and play with the seating depth.
It may be a good idea to only load two or three at a time in any one charge weight. That way you won't have to pull apart a bunch of no go's.
Many times seating depth is the real factor to tighten up groups.
But in the meantime don't forget good shooting form and a proper rest. More importantly, remember to enjoy the shooting time.

Are you loading to magazine length or can you get to the lands? Have you measured your distance to lands?
I would also load a bit higher and see what happens.

Yes I measured with a modified case and bullet with a over all length gauge the bullet is pretty much at the max length for the magazine

How far off the lands are you loading them? I'd still continue to work up until you reach signs of pressure or your group starts to tighten up again.

I started not to chime in on this one, I'm not very experienced as a reloader. But I did give ELD-X bullets a try in my 7-08. I used H4350 and Varget, both gave pretty much the same results. The first 5 rounds loaded with the lowest charge weren't bad, grouped a little over an inch. But the groups opened up a little more with every .5 grains of powder. By the end of the test batch muzzle velocities were pretty high, but my groups were 4 or 5 inches. I talked with another guy that had the exact same results in his 6.5 creed. I don't k ow what to make of it really, but I get great results using Accubonds and Interlock BTSPs, so after the ELD-X results I've pretty much moved on to other bullets. Some people seem to love them, that was certainly not my experience.

I started not to chime in on this one, I'm not very experienced as a reloader. But I did give ELD-X bullets a try in my 7-08. I used H4350 and Varget, both gave pretty much the same results. The first 5 rounds loaded with the lowest charge weren't bad, grouped a little over an inch. But the groups opened up a little more with every .5 grains of powder. By the end of the test batch muzzle velocities were pretty high, but my groups were 4 or 5 inches. I talked with another guy that had the exact same results in his 6.5 creed. I don't k ow what to make of it really, but I get great results using Accubonds and Interlock BTSPs, so after the ELD-X results I've pretty much moved on to other bullets. Some people seem to love them, that was certainly not my experience.

Too many bullets out there that work. To spend time trying to make a specific one that a rifle doesn't like shoot is pointless. Move on. mtmuley

Never been a fan of but the ELD bullets. If you're after a high BC go with the 215gr berger. Another solid choice is the accubonds.

Last edited:
I actually agree with mt Muley. Go try a Sierra, Nosler or Barnes. I had a 7-08 that would not shoot a 150 eldx. Then I tried a 140 accubond. Bingo.

My 6.5 creedmoor loves the 143 eldx. My 7 mag loves the 162 eldx.

You just never know.

Sounds like he just needs to retest his load off a proper bench and setup like he was shooting off when he shot 100 times better according to the OP.

Dewey- Retest your loads off something your comfortable on and can settle into the rifle solid. Also be sure it's a repeatable position. Even prone is a very good choice.

If the one inch groups Dewey got with factory ammo were not shot from the lead sled, I think he should follow the advice of cahunter805 and JLS before trying different bullets.

How many pints of Sweets does it take to clean the copper out of your barrel if you shoot 20 of those?

I have close to a hundred through the bore without cleaning and still 0.5-0.7 MOA.

When I clean it, I spray some wipe out in it, drink a few beers while playing with the dog, and then run a few patches through. Easy cheesy.

How many pints of Sweets does it take to clean the copper out of your barrel if you shoot 20 of those?

I’ve never shot them. I’ve just seen them mentioned alot without a lot of bad press. Personally, I’d run 180 grain Accubonds or Partitions and be good with it. However, those may not accomplish what the OP is wanting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back