Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

To chamber, or not to chamber? That is the question.

Have hunted for a long time and never had a critter get away because I was too slow to chamber a round.

Put a thread up here on how many guys “glass” other hunter through a rifle scope and obviously nobody would fess up to that, yet if I’m along a road during hunting season there’s plenty of douche bags doing it. Spitz (poster here) was with me when a clown “but I didn’t have binoculars” did that. In 2016 I mooned a guy scoping me. He was a nonresident with a 5% draw muley permit (for a resident) dragging a forked horn buck out. No shortage of dumb ass hunters out there.

Why chamber a round unless you mean business.

No - MT.

If I don't have time to chamber a round, I don't have time to get a shot off anyways. This is obviously for moving around and not still hunting / sitting. I've seen too many rifles dropped to risk a round in the chamber, and won't hunt with anyone that insists on carrying a round in the chamber all the time. If you're out hiking for miles, you're eventually going to end up pointing your gun at your partner unintentionally - I don't care how careful you are, it's unavoidable given a certain amount of time. I was taught to never rely on the safety.

Depends, in the UK I always have a round chambered, it's generally up close and personal hunting, but, I never carry the rifle barrel up, it's always shouldered barrel down, do any of you carry your rifle like this?

In Montana it's on my back attached to my pack, then I don't chamber a round until the last minute.

Although nothing is 100% safe, I do own a Blaser, the safety is a de-cocking device, so very safe.

Cheers

Richard

No at camp. Often yes when out.

When this guy rushed toward us, a quick karate chop and bullet stopped the advance.

IMG_1426.jpgIMG_1416.jpg

Mostly bullet. Between the eyes.

IMG_1414.jpg

Yes, I almost always hunt alone. If with someone, usually no round in the chamber.

PA/WV
WY/CO

I once had a guy in Colorado 'glass' me through his rifle scope for an inordinate amount of time. It was unnerving.

I have one chambered when still hunting or by myself. I hunt a lot with one chambered but with the bolt de cocked. That way I only need to lift the bolt handle instead of cycling the bolt all the way. Most of my hunting is in MT

I have one chambered when still hunting or by myself. I hunt a lot with one chambered but with the bolt de cocked. That way I only need to lift the bolt handle instead of cycling the bolt all the way. Most of my hunting is in MT

DON'T DO THAT !!!! You do know that the firing pin is resting on the primer when you lower the bolt on a chambered cartridge? Any type of jolt, or dropping the rifle can and probably will result in that cartridge going off. Unless you are just messing around with us to see if anyone is paying attention DON'T DO IT !! And anyone else reading this forum that might think it is a good idea- It's not.

edited to add: If you think that it is a good way to carry, remove the bolt from your rifle, and de-@#)(# it. Now, look at the face of the bolt. See the firing pin sticking through the hole? That's what is resting on the primer when you are carrying the rifle decocked with a round in the chamber.

Last edited:
Scoping someone is never ok.

I think someone's answer to this question has a fair bit to do with how they hunt and less to do with where they hunt. Most guys I know, and those who are most successful, hike up to a viewpoint, sit, glass, and repeat, until they find something they want to put a stalk on. For this type of western hunting, not having one in the chamber makes sense.

Others still-hunt, and when they typically see something they are after, they are within a radius of that animal that any movement or sound they make is detectable to their quarry, and that's if they haven't already been detected. If that describes the majority of the instances one runs into critters they are after, then not having one in the chamber would cause a lot of white-rear ends bounding off in the distance - and no I don't mean Greenhorn's.

1. Yes
2. Louisiana

Where I hunt most shots are inside 40-60yds. If you jump something and it does give a second to stop and pause you got to be ready. Had this happen once with a doe while gun hunting. Seen it a lot more times with a bow, but that shot is a no go. It's not uncommon for a pig to run a few yards and stop, or they don't get in as big of a hurry and you can pick them up in an opening. During day light hours my hunt begins as soon as I get off the road or out of the boat.

1.) Yes if stalking in, but no in every other instance. I have personally witnessed a rifle unintentionally being fired and it was pretty spooky.

2.) MT

DON'T DO THAT !!!! You do know that the firing pin is resting on the primer when you lower the bolt on a chambered cartridge? Any type of jolt, or dropping the rifle can and probably will result in that cartridge going off. Unless you are just messing around with us to see if anyone is paying attention DON'T DO IT !! And anyone else reading this forum that might think it is a good idea- It's not.

edited to add: If you think that it is a good way to carry, remove the bolt from your rifle, and de-@#)(# it. Now, look at the face of the bolt. See the firing pin sticking through the hole? That's what is resting on the primer when you are carrying the rifle decocked with a round in the chamber.

I do know the firing pin protrudes from the bolt in this position and your point/concern is well taken. In my eyes it was safer than carrying a loaded round with the bolt cocked but I see your point. I’m now curious to see if it’ll discharge just a primed case. I suspect not but it’s worth a try

Are you kidding me? I've have first hand seen a dumbass college buddy accidentally discharge his gun by doing this. Don't do that.

Where I used to hunt in NY ,yes. You never knew when a shot opportunity would arise and 90% of the time I was alone
Now in AZ with all the glassing and long distance walking/hiking with friends and family with me? No

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back