PEAX Equipment

To chamber, or not to chamber? That is the question.

As I mentioned earlier, are you guys unloaded when hunting with shotguns? Ducks, upland birds, squirrels, whatever. If you are waiting until a bird is coming in to put one in the chamber, you certainly have my respect. But the vast majority of shotgun hunters don't do that. I'd guess most of these rifle accidents are close enough range that a shotgun could've done the work just as well.

Reposting my remarks to this question raised much earlier in this post string:

Not saying I have the answers, but here are my reasons:

- There really is no other way to hunt upland so I take additional risk to participate in that sport, but I view it as unnecessary risk when rifle hunting so why take it
- Where we pheasant and grouse hunt the terrain is a flatter and more stable/friendly than broken up western rocky terrain
- I find upland hunting less distracting with fewer gadgets - no binos, no spotters, no big backpacks, all of that make it easier to focus on muzzle awareness
- Also, I find myself more focused on where my gun is when I upland hunt as it is relevant to getting a good swing, whereas when walking with a rifle I tend to focus more down range and footing
- Beyond 10-15 yards, shotgun blast with bird shot is not a deadly as rifle round so safer for those around me
"

Vikingsguy, you should hunt pheasants and grouse with me. The footing is far more treacherous than woth any elk or mule deer hunting that I have done.

Otherwise, I can agree with your general sentiments.

I'm curious how many of you folks who never chamber wait to cap your muzzleloader until you're ready to fire? The bird hunting example is a valid one, as well. The deer hunting that I do here is similar to bird hunting, in many ways. Shot opportunities are often just as quick.

Vikingsguy, you should hunt pheasants and grouse with me. The footing is far more treacherous than woth any elk or mule deer hunting that I have done.

Nothing to trip on when you hunted the wind river range from stem to stern in a few seasons? :D

I've never liked mob hunting for birds with shotguns, hell of a way to catch some bbs. Funny that orange is not required for that in MT, as it should be more than for any other hunting activity.

I figure if I can trip up and pepper spray myself twice in one spring, I better not be carrying a live round in the chamber. I'd have been dead long ago.

Who ever said anything about hunting with a mob, or hunting with any one, for birds?

You seem to be clumsy.

I did not carry hot in Wyoming this fall, but I will be Thursday or Saturday when I go out for birds. Just depends.

Reposting my remarks to this question raised much earlier in this post string:

My bad, didn't see that earlier. My point was that there are some judgement calls. Do I want my partner to hunt with a rifle round loaded while we're falling through brush on a steep slope or hiking quickly? Nah.

Do I expect my partner to wait to load a round when we are still hunting (essentially standing) in big woods? Nah.

Just seemed to be some self-righteousness going on. I'll agree to disagree.

Otherwise, I can agree with your general sentiments.

Sounds more like you should join me :)

My bad, didn't see that earlier.

No "bad" from my view - my earlier remark was from July I think, just pulled forward for convenience.

Just seemed to be some self-righteousness going on.

I don't see too much of that on this thread (but that definitely shows up in some of the public lands and lead ammo discussions). I see it as a healthy push to change a change resistant group (hunters in general) towards safer practices. I can imagine 125 years ago hunters saying "I don't need to treat all guns as loaded - I know when my gun is loaded and when it is not, and if you are too dumb to know the difference you are too dumb to carry a gun."

I'm curious how many of you folks who never chamber wait to cap your muzzleloader until you're ready to fire? The bird hunting example is a valid one, as well. The deer hunting that I do here is similar to bird hunting, in many ways. Shot opportunities are often just as quick.

I wait to cap unless I'm still or stand hunting. Same rules I use for rifles. Although I've wondered if it could still go off without a cap. I assume it can but I'm pretty new to muzzy hunting.

I love how everyone is trying to find the exception to prove the rule. Make your weapon as safe as you can, as often as you can, even if it means that in some fringe circumstances it might cost you a shot. Bunch of goddamned forest commandos out there, fighting off vicious elks and deers....;)

Do you also walk around with the with your rifle always at port arms? I bet bebopping through the woods with a slung/strapped-to-pack rifle cost way more shots on game, than whether or not a round is chambered.

As for the ML debate, one of my favorite features on my Knight Ultralight is the knob on the firing pin that can be spun down to physically make the firing pin immovable.

UL_GS_DV-01.jpg

IF YOU are NOT responsible enough to carry a weapon with a chambered round WITH the SAFETY ON and the MUZZLE pointed in a SAFE direction. YOU should not have a weapon to begin with !!!!!!

Ah yes, this coming from a stand hunter in PA? Most guys out west probably walk more on slippery slopes, crossing creeks, crawling over deadfall, etc in a weekend that you likely do in a season, maybe lifetime.(I am admitting I'm making an assumption here) I most certainly wouldn't have an issue sitting in a stand with a loaded rifle...…...but where we hunt, the risk goes up 100 fold from that style of hunting. Your blanket statement doesn't fit the bill dude...…… I've personally seen a safety fail myself, thankfully no injuries.

Maybe I just shouldn't have a weapon to begin with, :rolleyes:

Ah yes, this coming from a stand hunter in PA? Most guys out west probably walk more on slippery slopes, crossing creeks, crawling over deadfall, etc in a weekend that you likely do in a season, maybe lifetime.(I am admitting I'm making an assumption here) I most certainly wouldn't have an issue sitting in a stand with a loaded rifle...…...but where we hunt, the risk goes up 100 fold from that style of hunting. Your blanket statement doesn't fit the bill dude...…… I've personally seen a safety fail myself, thankfully no injuries.

Maybe I just shouldn't have a weapon to begin with, :rolleyes:

If it would not be to much trouble would you please explain how the safety failed. Thank you in advance. DUDE. I served 3 years in the military and most of my life in law enforcement and I don't remember seeing a safety fail.

I’ve had numerous triggers malfunction, especially when dirty/cold. Rifle basix, jewel and Remington.

Hey why only 3 years in the military?

I’ve had numerous triggers malfunction, especially when dirty/cold. Rifle basix, jewel and Remington.

Hey why only 3 years in the military?

3 years in the late 60's and early 70's was enough. He was talking safety not trigger.

If it would not be to much trouble would you please explain how the safety failed. Thank you in advance. DUDE. I served 3 years in the military and most of my life in law enforcement and I don't remember seeing a safety fail.

I used to carry with a round chambered. A few years back after busting through some maples I took my rifle off my shoulder for a break and noticed that the three position safety on my bolt action rifle had been moved all the way from safe to fire. Scared the shit out of me, and I consider myself lucky that whatever reached out and grabbed the safety that day didn't also get the trigger. Haven't carried hot since.

Well there was that little problem Remington had. Probably not a big deal Remington was kind of a small player at the time.

papabear, good God. Maybe this will illustrate something for you.
793212.jpg

Some light reading: Do triggers ever fail?

IF YOU are NOT responsible enough to carry a weapon with a chambered round WITH the SAFETY ON and the MUZZLE pointed in a SAFE direction. YOU should not have a weapon to begin with !!!!!!

This quote makes my Top 10 dumbest thing's I've read this year. Well done!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back