To chamber, or not to chamber? That is the question.

Have you ever pheasant hunted behind a flushing dog?

More than a little. I think this discussion is based on big game hunting, and center-fire rifles, particularly bolt action hunting rifles.

You guys worrying about the sound/time of cycling a bolt action rifle costing you a critter, likely would be better off worrying about how to put your pants on front ways and tying your shoes in double knots.

You guys worrying about the sound/time of cycling a bolt action rifle costing you a critter, likely would be better off worrying about how to put your pants on front ways and tying your shoes in double knots.

Comment seems a little inflammatory to me but you are entitled to your opinion.

If you please, refute the link I posted on the previous page: https://www.hunter-ed.com/montana/studyGuide/When-To-Load-a-Firearm/20102703_700164445/.

I'm not saying carrying unloaded isn't safer, I'm indicating it's not so beyond the pale to justify ridiculing other posters (though I will admit some advocating for carrying "hot" have made rude comments as well). Thank you for the rousing discussion.

Yeah i think an ar was far from anyone's mind. Just sounds like a(nother) disadvantage of an ar if you can't find a way to load it quietly...period.

Ps, thanks.for adding to my another reason to not buy an ar list other than price, complexity, and maintenance

Ps2 and the fact that infind them ergonomically impossible.

I have built 4 of them. They are actually the opposite of everything you said for me. Cost effective, pretty simple and easy to maintain.

People are using them for all kinds of hunting, including spot and stalk.

Yup actually they are pretty good spot and stalk type rifle for close action stuff.

More than a little. I think this discussion is based on big game hunting, and center-fire rifles, particularly bolt action hunting rifles.

Sure this conversation was more so built around big game because in general this what the majority of the folks on this site enjoy.

While the shot from a shotgun isn't going to go as far so there is a safety factor there in general the same dangers are still there and there are others that are probably worse.

You are moving something flushes and then you have to stop and shoot at a moving object.

You have more people with you.

You have a dog you have to be careful.

I carefully pick people I will pheasant hunt with.

Duck hunting isn't without issues either. Ya you aren't moving around but you have a dog, decoys, blinds, tight spaces. I am pretty particular about how guns are handle in my blind. I make sure guns are unloaded getting in and out of the blind. Guns never get laid on the ground loaded with dogs around, actually don't even like anyone setting a gun on a tree with dogs around.

One thing I really like about my B shotguns is you can take one out of the chamber without unloading the entire gun.

I just find it odd that people are so adamant about not having one in the chamber with a rifle but then will go and pheasant hunt, duck hunt with one in. The same dangers are there. Fact is if you don't walk around with one in the chamber for these types of activities then you wont have a lot of luck.

I guess I would go back to one of the comments I would rather hunt with a guy that has one in the chamber and assumes every gun has one in the chamber than a guy that has terrible gun handling and takes one out of the chamber.

I would love to hear from the Military community on this. I wonder how they are taught. You know they never go without one loaded and they are handling guns with muzzle definitely close to each other. I cringe when I watch drills of them clearing a building.

I have built 4 of them. They are actually the opposite of everything you said for me. Cost effective, pretty simple and easy to maintain.

Yup actually they are pretty good spot and stalk type rifle for close action stuff.

You can get at least as good of big game rifle in a bolt gun as an ar for less money hands down.

Ar is more complex by far. Almost certainly less reliable.

Far more difficult to clean (maintain).

Yeah, what I said is true.

Last edited:
Resurrecting this thread again. Hopefully not to provoke any more arguments.

I listened to this podcast the other day, it is an interview with a fellow named Josh Jespersen. He is a former navy seal who does all sorts of crazy mountain record breaking activities. Anyway, for a spoiler alert, he tells the tale of killing his own father in a hunting accident when he was 12 years old. I found it to be pretty intense, and it again brought to mind this thread.

IMO the hosts' banter at the beginning is a bit insufferable, so skip to the 4:45 mark to begin the interview if you are interested.

http://www.safetythirdpodcast.com/living-for-the-lost/

You can get at least as good of big game rifle in a bolt gun as an ar for less money hands down.

Ar is more complex by far. Almost certainly less reliable.

Far more difficult to clean (maintain).

Yeah, what I said is true.

You obviously don't have much experience with ARs...

Not trying to hate on AR's but what part of this isn't true? Can you actually buy an off the shelf 1 MOA Ar for $800? They are definitely more complicated, isn't an auto-loading shotgun is more mechanically complicated than a pump.

Where can I get an AR that shoots 0.8 MOA and is as mechanically simple as a bottom line bolt action for under $400?? If they are out there please point them out and I will be happy to buy several of them.

I have ARs and bolt guns - each for there own purpose, but bolts consistently cheaper and simpler (and more accurate per $).

I don’t hunt with an AR as I prefer bolt actions and larger calibers than 223 for hunting, but I have no doubt about their reliability or accuracy being sufficient for hunting. While more complicated, they are easy to disassemble by design. Unless you are shooting cheap crap ammo, reliability isn’t an issue.

Where can I get an AR that shoots 0.8 MOA and is as mechanically simple as a bottom line bolt action for under $400?? If they are out there please point them out and I will be happy to buy several of them.

I have ARs and bolt guns - each for there own purpose, but bolts consistently cheaper and simpler (and more accurate per $).
For that price you can put one together in a about a half an hour that will be way better quality than a $400 bolt gun.

Not trying to hate on AR's but what part of this isn't true? Can you actually buy an off the shelf 1 MOA Ar for $800? They are definitely more complicated, isn't an auto-loading shotgun is more mechanically complicated than a pump.

Pretty much all of it. Yes you can get a 1 moa for less than $800. They literally designed to be reliable and uncomplicated. Lives depend on it.

Pretty much all of it. Yes you can get a 1 moa for less than $800. They literally designed to be reliable and uncomplicated. Lives depend on it.

I thought when "lives depend on it" only controlled-round feed is adequate... But that's another story.

Anyway, as a person that does not have an AR but feels he should, just because, what brand will give me 1 MOA for less than $800 off the shelf and what caliber? .223 or 5.56xsomething or whatever?

Resurrecting this thread again. Hopefully not to provoke any more arguments.

I listened to this podcast the other day, it is an interview with a fellow named Josh Jespersen. He is a former navy seal who does all sorts of crazy mountain record breaking activities. Anyway, for a spoiler alert, he tells the tale of killing his own father in a hunting accident when he was 12 years old. I found it to be pretty intense, and it again brought to mind this thread.

IMO the hosts' banter at the beginning is a bit insufferable, so skip to the 4:45 mark to begin the interview if you are interested.

http://www.safetythirdpodcast.com/living-for-the-lost/

That story was horrific....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back