Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

To chamber, or not to chamber? That is the question.

Depends- When the rifle is strapped to the pack or in the truck, no. When I'm sitting, sneaking, or stalking then yes

MT

This thread was on my mind a lot during the rifle season this year. I did not have one in the chamber most of the time for the first time in my hunting life. This thread changed my behavior and that is a good thing.

Anyway, I saw this video on Facebook and it is disturbing. This fellow accidentally shot and killed his friend. He tells the story and you can imagine how it could happen. Regardless of your opinions on his role and responsibility in the death of a man, this video hit home for me, and should be shown to hunters ed classes IMO.

https://www.facebook.com/jay.maisano.5/videos/1111986868962765?sfns=0

Same here.
A person I know dropped his rifle and put a bullet through his arm. Could have easily been under the chin.

I read of two people in Montana that were shot this big game hunting season and one in Colorado, all by people carrying a round in the chamber while out hunting.

No and I don't mind asking others if they have one chambered....lease mates or encountered strangers.

Yes if alone.

If with others, no, not while my gun is slung or packed. If I see game or am in an area where I want the gun in my hands, then yes. It’s very different to have a gun in your hands, ready to use, and pointed in a safe direction than to have it slung or packed where your things can happen without you knowing.

Found myself not doing it this season after years of carrying hot. Breaking bad habits I guess. mtmuley

Any alcohol involved?

Not that was reported. I would doubt that alcohol was involved in any cases I have heard of.

Madison County hunter killed while the group was walking with chambers loaded - http://montanauntamed.com/hunting/article_807d8510-0ed6-5c66-bc10-9e09cfa6c0da.html

Helena guy killed by accidental discharge in a parking lot when returning from a hunt - https://helenair.com/news/local/man...cle_d7fc1056-b758-5526-97fe-e6e837dc2a01.html

Colorado, another parking lot; shoots his buddy while loading a live round in the chamber - https://www.skyhinews.com/news/auth...etails-in-last-weeks-fatal-shooting-incident/

Idaho where a solo hunter killed by accidental discharge from live round in his chamber - https://kcby.com/outdoors/25-year-old-idaho-man-dies-in-hunting-accident

Just what I know of from 2018 big game seasons in states here in the west. Not sure what the total would be if all states and all hunting types were included.

I suspect none of them thought it could happen and they may have gotten by with a live round in chambers for many years prior to this terrible event.

Yes if alone.

If with others, no, not while my gun is slung or packed. If I see game or am in an area where I want the gun in my hands, then yes. It’s very different to have a gun in your hands, ready to use, and pointed in a safe direction than to have it slung or packed where your things can happen without you knowing.

Exactly. If I'm spot and stalking a animal, still hunting, or sitting in a blind/stand I'm hot. Hiking from place to place with rifle slung not chambered. That rule would have been enough to stop at least 3 of those incidents.

Last edited:
I never hunt with a round in the chamber. I really don’t understand why some people hunt with a loaded chamber. It takes literally a second for me to work the bolt and load a round when I need to. I can’t think of an animal that got away because I didn’t have a round loaded.
Also anything mechanical can fail and with an empty chamber there’s 0% risk of anything bad happening.

Yes, as soon as it is legal to have a round in the chamber, I chamber one and unload until it is no longer legal.
Saskatchewan, Ontario, Quebec, Wyoming

I never hunt with a round in the chamber. I really don’t understand why some people hunt with a loaded chamber. It takes literally a second for me to work the bolt and load a round when I need to. I can’t think of an animal that got away because I didn’t have a round loaded.
Also anything mechanical can fail and with an empty chamber there’s 0% risk of anything bad happening.

You are, of course, presuming everyone uses a bolt rifle like you.

Lots of presumptions in this thread.

Yes, as soon as it is legal to have a round in the chamber, I chamber one and unload until it is no longer legal.
Saskatchewan, Ontario, Quebec, Wyoming

I believe it's perfectly legal to have a round in the chamber, the muzzle stuffed 2" inside your nostril, while doing jumping jacks. Not that I'd suggest doing that, but it's legal.

You are, of course, presuming everyone uses a bolt rifle like you.

Lots of presumptions in this thread.

BrentD, I'm assuming you are referring to the fact that you use breach loaders/ muzzleloaders? In the case of those weapons would it be more apt to say you don't walk around with the hammer cocked?

I have a modern muzzy and I load it and leave it load the entire season, but I don't load a primer until I am set up to call, or have seen elk and am making a stalk and I don't set the hammer until right before I'm ready to fire.

I have a pretty limited knowledge firing mechanisms of the weapons you use, so excuse me if this is off target. I think the general idea is that I would rather miss a chance at animal then injury or kill myself or someone else, and accidents do happen even to the most experience hunters and therefore a bit of inconvenience is worth the trouble.

Another thing to think about are firearm designs that require you to cycle rounds through the action to empty. I wonder if some of those parking lot accidents are folks becoming complacent while unloading their rifles.

I certainly do use breech loaders and muzzleloaders. And, no I don't carry them fully cocked. I may carry them with the chamber empty (which may have bought me mule deer tag soup this year) or with the hammer on half-@#)(#, but the latter is really nothing different than hunting with a hot-chambered bolt rifle on safety.

My muzzleloaders may or may not be primed (usually it's a flintlock). Nothing is cocked until the shot is eminent. The last statement is the only absolute. The rest just depend on the situation.

I think that is the one take home I have from the frequent threads on this topic. Different people have different expectations and different circumstances. And it goes without saying that we would all rather miss an opportunity than hurt anyone else in an accident.

I spent the weekend in swamps chasing pheasants with a pair of hot chambers. Standard practice. I don't think anyone here would think twice about it. But I spent my entire mule deer hunt in Wyoming hunting with a cold chamber. In a week, I will be hunting whitetails with flintlock. For what I have planned at the moment, it will be primed when I enter the timber. I do have a place in mind where I may delay priming it, depending on the hike in, but that will be an abnormal situation for me. It will be deprimed and the flashhole plugged when I leave the timber for the day. But it will not be unloaded until it is fired or the season ends. This may or may not satisfy some. But I hunt alone for the most part.

I keep the chamber empty unless I'm sitting. I normally alternate between still hunting (chamber empty) and sitting hidden in the brush etc. (round chambered). My thought is that if I'm moving around I don't want a live round in the chamber and if I'm sitting I want to make as little movement/noise as possible if an animal comes a walkin' up. I hunt in Colorado and Wyoming. Makes me nervous when someone I'm hunting with has a round in the chamber.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back