To chamber, or not to chamber? That is the question.

Its not really apples to apples as your concealed carry should always stay in its hard sided holster with a trigger guard until its time to use it. And if its time to use it that half a second to rack one in the chamber might take more time than you have. But everyone has their own choice as to what makes them comfortable.

A revolver solves that. mtmuley

Its not really apples to apples as your concealed carry should always stay in its hard sided holster with a trigger guard until its time to use it. And if its time to use it that half a second to rack one in the chamber might take more time than you have. But everyone has their own choice as to what makes them comfortable.
I don't disagree, wasn't trying to start a debate my concealed gun stays in a kydex iwb holster chambered with the trigger covered. Different strokes for different folks.

Just saw this thread. Yes when I'm hunting by myself. No for everyone when we're together until we separate to go on our own. That's in WY and MI or any other state I happen to go to.

Yes, chambered round, I'm almost always by myself. Never in a vehicle (except the muzzy gun, without a primer).
SouthEast.

I've seen this topic a dozen times and never is there a definitive answer, though opinions are often offered as though they were definitive answers.

Western landscapes and certain hunting styles certainly lend themselves to carrying cold, while others tend to require carrying hot. Bird hunting or jump hunting rabbits are often raised as an example where carrying hot is required and then swept out of the discussion as if they are not comparable, but certainly they are.

Many of my rifles do not lend themselves to be carrying cold - single shots, esp muzzleloaders for instance. So, for me, it's a simple question that has no simple answer and I feel it is disingenuous to pretend otherwise.

There would be very little shooting done if you have to stop and put a shell in the chamber every time you jump a rabbit, or flush a chukar or quail that is not being pointed by dogs.

So, for me, it's a simple question that has no simple answer and I feel it is disingenuous to pretend otherwise.

I carry a loaded shotgun around some of the more treacherous and unforgiving terrain in the lower 48.

Chambered only if Stubaby is in the area, as I know he'll shoot or climb over the top of you to get the first shot off.

I typically carry a round in the gun - especially bird hunting or still hunting timbered country like Northern Idaho. In more open country spot/stalk scenarios I am less likely to chamber a round because encounters are much more predictable. Wherever I happen to be...if there is even the slightest doubt about my ability to maintain 100% control over the muzzle direction, the gun gets unloaded.

If I was filming a tv show, guiding paying clients, or otherwise had a big group of people around I would not allow loaded guns until the intended shot. In these scenarios you have added a lot of complexity, a lot of extra people who may or may not be that familiar with each other, and so the chances of something going wrong are astronomically higher. Not to mention the liability would be staggering if something goes wrong while engaged in commercial activity.

So, like many on here, my answer depends on the scenario.

Depends on the situation....

Walking in/hiking in general.....no. Once I get to where I'm going and I'm posting up for a time, then I chamber a round. When I get ready to move again, I "un-chamber".

Shotgun.....always one in the chamber.

Concealed carry.....duh.

ID and WY nowadays.......used to sit in a lot of trees and fence lines back East.....AR, MO, KS, NE

Hunting I always have one chambered with the safety on. Traveling distance when speed is priority I have the chamber empty. Probably has to do with where I hunt. I cannot picture anybody still hunting or stand hunting white tails without a loaded gun.
Primarily PA and MD but have hunted a handful of others.

No, after having my Rem 700 inadvertently pushed from safe to fire position on multiple occasions while slung at my side.

MT

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back