Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Oklahoma: McAlester Traditional Archery Draw

Dude007Ninja

I’ve heard a lot about the famous McAlester traditional bow hunt, and I was lucky enough to draw into it. I’ve been practicing, but I just wanted to know if anyone has any tips or recommendations for the Hominy area. I’ve checked it out quite a bit on Google maps and OnX. I’ve heard that there are some persimmon trees that they favor too. I’m going to enjoy the hunt no matter what, but I would appreciate any tips!

Persimmons are as good as gold. Listen to the white hats they know what they're taliking about. If you plan on using a treestand hang high or in a tree with good cover those deer look up a lot. I've heard brushing in a blind is pretty effective but don't know I can't shoot my longbow out of my pop up. Lots of deer and some true giants good luck.

Thanks WildWill, I appreciate the information! I wasn’t planning on using a blind, but I may take one now. I plan on hunting near water sources, but I’ll talk to the white hats and follow their lead.

What weekend did you draw? Maybe we can grab a beer if I'm off that weekend. I've got a lot of friends and family that work out there and my cousin killed the heartbreaker buck last year on that hunt. Not sure about which area he was hunting but I can ask. There's some true whitetail monarchs walking those woods so the opportunity is definitely there if you can put a good game plan together to make it happen.

I got October 19-21 and the mandatory meeting is on the 18th. I plan on heading that way and getting my camp set up on the 17th. I’ll be driving from OKC too. Heartbreaker was a nice buck! I had to look back to see which one it was, and he was in the Deer Creek area. Congrats to your cousin! I was thinking I would hunt on the West side of the creek, but they may change once I get some boots on the ground. I wouldn’t mind grabbing a drink and talking strategy.

Of all weekends, you had to draw opening weekend of Colorado's 2nd rifle elk season.

Keep us posted on how you do. Have heard quite a bit about that hunt.
Good luck!

The first weekend wasn't great one pope and young killed and 18 or 19 other deer. Rain messed up the weekend a bunch.

I'll say, almost had to break out the boat to go to the store! It's been a really wet year so they're gonna be hitting the acorns hard so setting up in a staging area near an oak thicket would be my strategy. If you find persimmons on scouting day definitely be looking for sign. I've seen bucks chasing already so calling and rattling at first and last light could get them fired up enough to come in. I just hung a ladder stand today near a game trail coming into a small clearing on the edge of a huge tract of thick oak woods with a pond about 75 yards behind me. It'll have a couple weeks to sit while I'm in Colorado which will put me in the stand right around the first of November, the best time IMO to be in the deer woods in Oklahoma. Needless to say I'm stoked to put a nice buck on the ground with my new bow.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back