Elk Summer Sausage

MTHunter1321

I’m doing my first attempt at making summer sausage tomorrow evening. Got a 3lb log stuffed and sitting in the fridge overnight. I’m planning on using my Traeger and in the directions that came with the packet I bought it just says “temp at 180-200 until middle reaches 156 degrees.” My question for those who have made it before is how long can I anticipate this taking? I was guessing 3-4 hours. Am I close? I can’t wait to see how it turns out!

I ran my batch at 180ish and it took 18 hours to get the internal temp to 160. I was was smoking almost 40 pounds of it but that shouldn't make that much difference. I would plan on a lot longer than 3 to 4 hours.

Of course I'm an expert because I've made 1 whopping batch.

I don't use a traeger but I do similar temps except that I start low at 130F and bump up 20F every hour until I get to 190F then hold until internal reaches 160. I use 1lb, 2" casings and it takes me probably 5-6 hours at least. Make sure you ice bath when you finish.

Gonna take a while. Get up early and take it out of the fridge to warm up some first. My salami is in casings about 2 1/2 inches and with temperatures about where you want it takes me 10 to 12 hours in my smoker. It all depends on how big the roll is in diameter.

Longer than you would think.... I start at 130 for 1 hour, 150 for 3 hours, then 190 until I get to 155 internal. It takes me roughly 12 hours in my rig.

The logic behind starting out at a lower temperature first and increasing is that you want the sausage to be dry prior to smoking. The wet casings won't allow the smoke to go thru hence the low temperature to dry it out.

12 hrs for me. Start at lower temp if possible, like Predator said. I found that if you run hotter right away, all your fat will be cooked out next to the casing. I also put sausage in ice bath when done

Bring to room temp.before starting.Helps smoking/curing process and reduces time.:cool:

Turned out very well. Took about 9 hours total. First six hours were at about 160 then I bumped it up to 180. Will definitely be doing more!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back