Champagne taste. Single shelter budget.

Huntin_GI

Hey team,

Question: If you could only afford a single back country shelter system, would you go 4 season, 3 season, tarp, tipi, or bivy?

I already have a Kodiak canvas for the base camp/family trips but backpacking into the back country is plan for the coming 2019 season. I have the opportunity to pick up some gear from nemo at a fantastic discount but was unsure about going all 4 season out the gate.

www.nemoequipment.com/product/kunai/

This is the model I was mulling over at $300. Yes yes, I know hilleberg but value is part of the equation.

Opinions are welcome.

Depends on your needs... that tent would be great in late Sept-Oct, you might want a bit more in late Nov-Dec and in June-Aug would be a bit overkill, but for $300 I doubt your going to do much better.

Personally I have a 3 season and it works great for 90% of my needs, in the late season I find I wish I had a beefier bag more than a beefier tent. I'm headed to Adak in a couple of weeks and I'm borrowing a 4 season single wall simply because of the wind, and it's the first time I really felt like I couldn't make my tent work.

Looks good. I have heard great things about Nemo Equipment.

Watch out about posting prices off of the discount sites, they will pull your privileges if they find out. I just saw a general warning email from one of them, who also has a big Nemo sale going on right now, that they are on the lookout.

I think that it depends on where you are going to be hunting, if I had a choice and most my hunting was going to be in he mountains in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, etc. I would prefer to get a tarp or a tipi depending if you like to hunt above treeline or in the timber some.

Copy all team. Thanks for the insight. Hard to argue with the value of an all year tent so I think I will pull the trigger.

Did you end up buying it? If so how did you like it I have been looking at getting that same tent.

For backcountry spike camp hunts I use a treated nylon whelen lean-to. The best thing about that is it was designed to have a fire built right in front of it for heat and cooking. I wont camp in the bc in an enclosed structure. Got mine from Beckel Canvas. With the lines and stakes it packs in at 6lbs and no poles needed. Will sleep 2 comfortably. A tip for using these are to face the front side towards the ESE. Pretty rare for a storm to come up from that direction in the USA.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back