camera for mt goat / NWT sheep hunt?

adubs

I am going on a mountain goat hunt in MT this fall with my brother (he drew the tag). I will also be going on a sheep / caribou hunt in 2020 in the NWT with both of my brothers and I want a good camera to take pics and video to document our adventures. I already have a good tripod with the outdoorsman head, swaro spotter, iphone, and phone scope to do some pics and recording but I want take higher quality pics and video. Weather can and will be a concern especially on the sheep hunt and size/weight is a premium as well. I have an older DSLR Nikon D3100 with an 18-55 and a 55-200mm lens. I talked to joel at camera land and he recommended the sony RX100VI...It seems like a great camera with great zoom features but I'm so uneducated when it comes to cameras I want to do as much research as I can before spending the money.

Thanks,

Adubs

I'd consider looking at the sonya6000 mirrorless camera. They are smaller than a DSLR, and take very high quality photos and videos. The lens will be the most important part, and if you can only justify one lens I'd look at a 24-70. There are a ton of great options for different lenses, and I'd focus more on a quality lens than the camera itself. The one downside to the Sony is the battery life isn't great. However, I'm taking 3 batteries with me on a MTN Goat hunt in BC this fall, and will also have a couple portable chargers if necessary, so it's fairly easy to work past that.

I just picked up a Panasonic Lumix GX85 for a Colorado Mule Deer trip, came with multiple lenses, shoots up to 4k/30fps video. Stills look great with it and the video is awesome. I got mine with a case memory card and assorted accessories for $597. Check out Adorama, they have great deals.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back