How do you carry your ammo?

This thread turned into a surprisingly good discussion. Nice work HuntTalkers. I carry four in the rifle, six in the plastic carrier in the top flap of my pack. Also have one rifle with loops on the Butler Creek strap, which holds the four from the rifle when the gun is cased or transported. And even though I consider myself a safety snob, I do hunt with a round in the chamber, unless local conditions feel unsafe (poor footing, dark, etc.) Open country hunting with a lot of fences or in and out of vehicles, I'll keep all rounds in the magazine until showtime. But I always assume the rifle is hot.

I am surprised by the response of hunters that do carry a round in the chamber. It seems that most hunters are on the side that don't carry "hot", but quite a few (from the responses here) do carry with a round in the chamber. Interesting and as Ben Long stated, turned into a good discussion.

I mostly hunt alone,full mag,with one in chamber,safety on,finger off trigger.I do empty chamber if crossing anything obstacle wise or when I stop hunting. Bolt down on fired pin. I like Timney triggers & safety's.
If I am hunting with someone else,it usually means I am guiding...so my chamber stays empty then.

If there is not one in the hole what good is the gun ! How many people that have a concealed carry walk around with a empty gun in their holster ? To answer the question one in the hole 3 in the magazine and 2 in my right front coat pocket.

If there is not one in the hole what good is the gun ! How many people that have a concealed carry walk around with a empty gun in their holster ? To answer the question one in the hole 3 in the magazine and 2 in my right front coat pocket.

Last I checked the elk aren't shooting back.
giphy.gif

For those who refuse to carry with a loaded chamber, do you ever do any hunting where birds, rabbits, hogs, or anything else is flushed from cover? I'd have a tough time loading my single shot 12 gauge in time to hit a running rabbit in a briar patch.

I think some qualifications are in order to your point. I referring to my approach when big game hunting mostly in CO, WY, and MT. I spot and stalk hunt and have not done a lot of dark timber hunting, essentially I'm not in a jump shooting situation.

Upland game if I'm crossing a river, or getting to and from a hunting area where my gun is on my back there isn't one in the chamber. If my dog is working and I'm actively flushing game there definitely is one in the chamber.
Muzzleloader I keep the primers around my neck in a holder, and when I get close I put one on.

I don't typically still hunt, but in that situation, with my gun in my hands I would put one in the chamber as long as I was walking in the lead with no one in front of me.

For those who do walk around hot, when bow hunting do you hike around with an arrow knocked? I would say I put one in the chamber probably about the same time most people knock an arrow.

I am surprised by the response of hunters that do carry a round in the chamber. It seems that most hunters are on the side that don't carry "hot", but quite a few (from the responses here) do carry with a round in the chamber. Interesting and as Ben Long stated, turned into a good discussion.

I am equally surprised by the number of guys that don’t carry a round in the chamber. In 46 years of hunting I don’t think I ever hunted with anyone that didn’t, but then again I’m pretty particular about who I hunt with. :)

I understand why folks are uneasy about one in the chamber, but I'm with tjones - not having one in the chamber would have cost me many a critter. If you still-hunt thick timber you'd be crazy to think you could rack a round and get a shot off without spooking animals off. Once I am hunting, about 100 yards from the truck, I've got one in the chamber.

After getting shot at for a good portion of my adult life, I have gotten used to carrying with one in the chamber and am safe with it that way. I've had rifle drills and safety and tactics shoved down my throat. When I hunted with Randy, his rule was safety on and no round in the chamber. His hunt, his rules, and I had no complaints about it. Different people I hunt with have different views and wishes and I have no issues with complying to their wishes. But when I hunt alone, there's one in the pipe.

After getting shot at for a good portion of my adult life, I have gotten used to carrying with one in the chamber and am safe with it that way. I've had rifle drills and safety and tactics shoved down my throat. When I hunted with Randy, his rule was safety on and no round in the chamber. His hunt, his rules, and I had no complaints about it. Different people I hunt with have different views and wishes and I have no issues with complying to their wishes. But when I hunt alone, there's one in the pipe.

X2 Cush.

Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 2.12.18 AM.png

This is what I use and it's awesome!

Actually has an adhesive back that sticks directly to the buttstock. The adhesive is strong but pulls away without leaving residue. The ammo pouch attaches to the adhesive pad by hook and loop. That way you can keep multiple pouches loaded and just trade them out if you need to.

https://godagrip.com/ammo-grips-2/

Last edited:
I would say I put one in the chamber probably about the same time most people knock an arrow.

That’s it for me too. I’m relatively new to being serious about hunting, and have only really hunted big, open terrain, so I’ve stuck to my dad’s rule from when I was a kid about not keeping a round chambered. Now, this fall, if I find myself still hunting or following tracks in dark timber during my elk hunt, there will most definitely be a round in the chamber.

I have a spare clip. that holds three, in my cargo pocket. More in the day pack.

4 in the gun, 3 in my pocket. If I need more than that I shouldn't have taken the shot or dropped my rifle.

-Exactly, I am not. This does not mean others with more experience shouldn't.

Laelkhunter
My argument would be, and I'm parroting BigFin, my hunter's ED instructor, and as mentioned LEOs I know;
1. The worst thing that could happen is you miss an opportunity, no one is shooting back
2. That if you don't have time to work the bolt it's likely too fleeting of an opportunity for most to make an ethical shot and/ or to correctly identify the target, i.e. bull v. cow; legal bull versus spike; full curl sheep, boar versus sow, 50 inch spread, etc. I have spent at least 5 min and as much as a day watching every big game animal I have killed with a rifle, and I have dry fired almost all of them as practice and to cool my nerves before I take the shot.
3. If a neophyte like me has the time to work the bolt, someone with a lifetime of experience should have plenty of time.

Also I have a friend whose dad was killed in 2010 in Montrose from an accidental discharge when the guy he was with slipped and dropped his rifle.

Agreed....The only time I have one in the chamber is when in a treestand by myself. I only put one in the chamber after I've settled into the stand and take it out before climbing down.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back