Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

How do you carry your ammo?

eric308

Last hunt I used an AGC bino harness which has room for six cartridges in the front pouch. Twelve more in the pack. What say you?

My extra ammo rides on the side of my stock of my rifle.

Last edited:
I usually carry about 4 to 5 extra in the ammo holder that comes in the factory box. It prevents the cartridges from hitting each other. This year I bought an ammo holder from kuiu to try out. I'll find out if I like it this year.

I have tried a variety of ammo holders over the years and I have had issues with all of them. I have one of those 10 cartridge fold over carriers now but I now leave it in the truck. I carry a couple in each front pocket as well as having 3 in my rifle. I also have 4 in part of the original plastic holder cut to size in my pack. I figure 3 in my gun 4 or so in my pockets should do the job. The 4 in my pack are in case I forget or loose some. I actually needed them one time when I left the truck without any other cartridges.

My front pockets is where I carried my ammo 50 years ago. Interesting how I have gone back to that.

Three in the rifle and ten in a cartridge fold over case attached to my backpacks belt. Make your shots count and you shouldn't need more than the ones in your rifle. :rolleyes:

Three in my rifle and four or five go in the waist pocket on my backpack.

Superstitious Hunters

My dad and I always have 7 rounds with us. I'd like to say we're not superstitious, but our histories say otherwise. We both always load 5 in the rifles and have 2 in our pocket, although I've never seen either of us shoot more than twice during a hunt. It goes right in with Dad's "thing" where if he isn't seeing anything while huntin for a few days, he'll grab a different rifle and always seems to see something after making the switch

Last edited:
Three in the mag, one in the chamber and six in a belt pouch. The belt pouch may be covered with jackets, vests, raingear, etc so I also carry one round in each pocket of my outer wear. That way they don't rattle, and if the shooting gets fast and crazy, no matter what pocket I stick my hand in, I know I have at least one round in that pocket.

+2

Never one in the chamber

I might have to rethink the "one in the chamber". I know things can happen, but after 45 years as a LEO, I always carried "one in the chamber". I know apples and oranges, but muzzle control, and never laser anything are my important safety rules, and I never chamber a round until I am off the road/trail and away from my hunting companions. Like I said, I might have to rethink.

Last edited:
I don't recall when I started doing this but I keep a handful of cheap cotton work gloves in my hunting pack. I put a round in each finger and carry that in my pocket.

Not having one in the chamber would have cost me lots of bulls.

No bull/ram/buck is worth my life or that of one of my buddies/family members.

I had my safety get knocked off a number of times by my pack/brush/etc my first season and never once have I not had time to put one in the chamber. It doesn't require much movement and it's quick.

If I have eyes on a bull, was in timber or something where the shot would be close, and had my rifle in my hands... yeah I would put one in... but most the time I'm hiking around, my rifle is in my gun barer, and while I try to have good muzzle control, when a rifle is strapped to your pack or even in a sling on your shoulder... stuff happens.

The comparison to handguns seems like red hearing as they have very different safety mechanisms and correct me if I'm wrong but the holster itself is designed to prevent accidental discharge. Do LEOs keep one in the chamber in their bolt guns... does your average LEO have a bolt gun while on duty. (Also it was our local chief of police/ my uncle who was in the FBI who initially gave me a hard time about walking around with one in the chamber. I hadn't fired a gun till I was 22 and took hunter's ed at 23 so I'm not even going to pretend I have the firearms experience of anyone on this thread)

Upland or Waterfowl is a different story.

Last edited:
i like to wrap 3 or 4 (mag capacity) up in a piece of masking tape with a tag on the end to unroll quickly, or tear. I usually have a full mag, and one wrap in my pocket or or bino case and another one or two handy in my pack.

I had my safety get knocked off a number of times by my pack/brush/etc my first season and never once have I not had time to put one in the chamber. It doesn't require much movement and it's quick.

The comparison to handguns seems like red hearing as they have very different safety mechanisms and correct me if I'm wrong but the holster itself is designed to prevent accidental discharge. Do LEOs keep one in the chamber in their bolt guns... does your average LEO have a bolt gun while on duty. (Also it was our local chief of police/ my uncle who was in the FBI who initially gave me a hard time about walking around with one in the chamber. I hadn't fired a gun till I was 22 and took hunter's ed at 23 so I'm not even going to pretend I have the firearms experience of anyone on this thread)

Upland or Waterfowl is a different story.

Yes LEO (I along with others) keep one in the chamber in our bolt gun when on a barricaded/SWAT Callout (you are away from your vehicle, just like when hunting). When my Patrol rifle (M-4) comes out of the trunk, Yes it will have one put in the chamber before I leave my vehicle. I didn't say I ride to the hunting area in my truck or UTV with a round chambered, the rifle is empty until I am away from my buddies, and off the road/trail we came in on. Other than sidearms, our issued weapons (the long guns, bolt action rifle, shotgun or AR) don't have a round chambered until leaving the vehicle.

As I stated, apples and oranges, but I am willing to listen to your opinion. I could be swayed to wait until I see an Elk before chambering.

Last edited:

Definitely, if you are not comfortable with carrying a round in the chamber don't. I have been doing it since 1972 without a problem. Where I hunt elk I would say 20 of the bulls I have killed there would be no time to bolt in a round.

I carry 5 in my pocket and the rest is a folding ammo pouch in my pack

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back