new binos vs. spotting scope

If you decide you will get binos and you still want to have a spotter, you can rent Swarovski for $150 a week. If you only get 1 week a year this may not be a bad option as you would have supreme up-to-date optics with out having to overload your wallet. Havent looked into in to this a while as i was able to pick up a spotter since. Prices may have gone up.

The 10x25 are a no-go; if you get 10's go with the 42mm objective. As a bow hunter, you may even want the 8x magnification. I have a set of 8x Minox HG that are superb.

There is good glass out there for stupid low prices. Look at the Bushnell M series close-outs. They check a lot of feature boxes (dielectric coating, ED glass, fully multicoated, locking diopter, etc). Get a tripod setup and bino combo for about half your budget. My 10x42's are the Bushnell and from the tripod I'd go against anyone to spot game. The biggest down side is that they are physically BIG.

As for the spotter, I can tell you when I didn't carry mine I wish i did.

-Dustin

I bought some 8x42 Conquests for archery in the breaks. I never took my spotter more than 50 feet from the truck; it just wasn't necessary.

Did you think about getting higher magnification in the binos. Weight wouldn't be any different than binos and scope. 15 or 16 power x 56 might give you what you're looking for. Definitely would need the tripod.

I never had a regret investing in a good set of binos. Get the highest quality bino you can afford. 8 or 10 power. You will go on many more hunts that you will use them on.

Anyone know where i can buy the new tripod adapter that looks like a blade and slides through a slotted nut in the tripod adapter plug or at least who makes it. have seen it in a lot of youtube vids lately but no link to where to buy. seems like it would work better than screwing in and unscrewing the vortex type adapters?

Thanks. i saw that one. The one i saw was just a piece of CNC machined aluminum like the Field Optics research on except it was tapered so you just slid it down until it friction fit instead of the spring clip. i have been going back over videos to find it with no luck. I will keep looking. Thanks again for responding.

Agree with the comments above. Get the best binos you can with a solid tripod, then either rent a good spotter or get close enough with an average spotter after finding them with the binos to know if you want to go after them or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back