Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

new binos vs. spotting scope

MontanaMaine-iac

This question has been asked in some form a few times already, but in searching the various threads I haven't been able to find the specific advice I'm looking for. A friend and I both drew archery elk tags in the Missouri River Breaks this year. It's his first western hunt and my first "big" elk hunt. I've chased them a few times, but mostly hunt antelope and deer. I use Nikon 10x25 binos now. They're not great, especially in low light, and I'm looking to upgrade and I figure this hunt is as good a reason as any. Would you suggest upgrading the binos or going to a scope? I don't have a huge budget. $800 is probably tops. Thanks all!

The consensus among my friends in Colorado is good binos are a necessity. A good spotting scope is a luxury. Albeit an important luxury but......Id go binos with a good tripod first.

Binos first. You could actually get a nice pair of binos and a sufficient scope for 800. Buy used. Go 10x42 for binos.

That's a tough one that I think depends on how often you plan to do this.

If you plan to do this every year the rest of your life buy the best binos you can afford in the 8x42 - 10x50 range this year. Then save until you can get a good spotter and you will be done. I'd take a really good set of binos over a low end spotter any time.

If this is only something you will do every few years then maybe something like a Maven C series or Theron Questa might fit the bill as you can still use them back home and have a budget for a low-mid range spotter this year.

That's a tough one that I think depends on how often you plan to do this.

If you plan to do this every year the rest of your life buy the best binos you can afford in the 8x42 - 10x50 range this year. Then save until you can get a good spotter and you will be done. I'd take a really good set of binos over a low end spotter any time.

If this is only something you will do every few years then maybe something like a Maven C series or Theron Questa might fit the bill as you can still use them back home and have a budget for a low-mid range spotter this year.

Sound advice. That's how I would approach it.

Agree that a good pair of binos on a tripod for elk hunting is pretty efficient. I'd also recommend the Maven C series. They function as a $1000 bino for less than half the cost. Use the money not spent to save for a spotter eventually, or buy a better pack or boots.

Go get a used pair of Swarovski 10x42s and a tripod. Then rent a Swarovski spotter. Don’t go without some good glass. Again. Don’t go without good glass. It’s not just clarity and low light gathering even tho that’s important. Eye fatigue and color fidelity are also important aspects.

Working within the budget I’d say binos all the way. You’ll be able to get a really nice pair of binos vs a lower end spotter of which you’ll certainly be disappointed in. I’d also say (IMO) a spotter isn’t really necessary for elk hunting. I’m sure you and your buddy don’t really care if that bull scores 320 or 330. If it gets you fired up go get ‘em!

What type of Nikon binos do you have right now? You may not need anything too much nicer. I use some Redfield 10x42s and they work great for glassing mule deer. Yes, you can get better and they are nice, but for your first western hunt you can probably use your Nikons if they're decent and upgrade as you see fit for your next trip.

I don't see where many talk about eye fatigue when talking about glassing. At my age my eyes won't adjust as easily as they once did and if I am glassing for long periods of time I have to have the best binos I can get. I used to get by with less expensive binos. If you buy the best binos you can now you will not be sorry. You will also use them on any hunt. I don't always carry a spotting scope but I would never hunt without my binoculars. Your 10x25 binos can work but not as good as a pair of 10x42 or 10x50.

To answer your direct question on upgrade bino vs spotter, I would go with bino first. You may want look at Schmalts (predator optics) as he has good deals, and almost always better than big box stores.

To me you have a few options. I was able to upgrade to Leupold BX3 Pro Guide Mojave HD 10x50s for $350 in 2017. I found them at cableas, not in the bargin cave but behind the counter. They had some of last years models they hadn't sold yet at a deep discount. When I called leupold and asked them about the differences between those and BX 4 Pro Guide HD they said they are the same lenses.

To me spotter is a luxury used to confirm the size of a bull, and determine if you should go after it. I tend to go on the more affordable end of a spotter. If it were me I would look for used Vortex Diamondback or Leupold Ventana. I was able to find a Leupold Ventana 1 straight 20-60x80mm for $300, however, it did have a small crack in lens. Thanks to Leupolds warranty they fixed it free of charge and since the Ventana 1 is no longer offered they gave me a brand new Ventana 2.

So if you take your time and know what to look for I think you could actually get both for well under $800. Hope that helps.

Hope that helps.

I hunt the Breaks every year. As someone said above ... binoculars are a necessity and a spotting scope is a luxury. With the budget you stated ... I would get a good pair of binoculars. I rely a lot on my binoculars to spot the animals and then plan my stalk.
If you have any questions...send me a private message (PM).

My advice is to spend your $800, or more, on a decent pair of 10x42 binoculars and forget the scope until you can afford a good one. Compact binoculars are what one keeps in the glove box in case you forget to bring your good binoculars. Hunting with compacts is a liability unless you have nothing bigger and better.

A lot depends on how you hunt. The breaks is a big area, with lots of of places for elk to hide. For your budget of $800 you could get some mid level leupold or vortex products and have both. If your just going to hike and chase any elk you find, your money would be well spent on some bino's and a compact tripod.

I have a vortex viper HD 15-45 spotting scope that I would gladly part with. I am in Billings, so potentially you could even pick it up on your way out.

Spend to money on 10x42 bino's and if you can swing it get a tripod and adapter for the bino's . You'll always glass more with your bino's. Go to a cabelas. Basspro and check out them. Here's a site that sells vortex and high end bino's and spotters. northwestsportoptics.com

Make the best of the Breaks hunt!

Thank you all! As usual the help and advice on here is outstanding!
What type of Nikon binos do you have right now?
I have Nikon Acculons. They're not bad, but I've used them to glass for muleys and antelope and I definitely have some frustration at times. As I learn more and do the research I think I can articulate that frustration as being due to low light sensitivity and narrow FOV. I used to think it was the magnification: I couldn't quite make out what I was looking at and thought a high powered spotting scope would make it clearer.

I'd also recommend the Maven C series. They function as a $1000 bino for less than half the cost.
Thoughts on the B series? I’m willing to spend a little money, I don’t want to repeat the mistake I made with the Nikons (totally bought the brand, not the glass – my wife is a photographer and uses Nikon equipment; their lenses are unbelievable!), but don’t have Swaro money to drop!

Thank you all again, can’t wait for September!

Thoughts on the B series? I’m willing to spend a little money, I don’t want to repeat the mistake I made with the Nikons (totally bought the brand, not the glass – my wife is a photographer and uses Nikon equipment; their lenses are unbelievable!), but don’t have Swaro money to drop!

In your first post you stated $800 as top of your price range. If you're willing to stretch that to $950ish I would suggest you get demo Maven B.2s. Pretty much universally people agree they're significantly better than B.1s, and hold their own against top German glass if not being quite at that level. If that's too pricey the C.1s really are a good option; they're shockingly good glass.

Thanks. I was going to PM, but maybe people browsing this topic in the future will find the answer helpful. What's the difference between the B.2 and the B.1? Browsing Maven's site it looks like the only difference is size: 8x and 10x vs. 9x and 11x. I'm all over the C.1s if that's the way to go, just thought if I stretched the budget a little I could get better glass with the B.1.

What's the difference between the B.2 and the B.1? Browsing Maven's site it looks like the only difference is size

The big difference between the B.1 and B.2 is the type of prisms they use. The B.1 uses Schmidt-Pechan (most binoculars use these prisms) whereas the B.2 uses Abbe-Koenig prisms. You'll notice that this, for one, leads to a significantly higher light transmission for the B.2s. To accommodate the Abbe-Koenig prisms you will get a larger and heavier bino, but most seem to think it's worth it for the B.2s.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back