New to NC and new to bear hunting, help appreciated.

luck1440

Hey, folks. Luck1440 here.

I’m off to North Carolina in less than a two weeks for school. Lucky for me if you’re a non-resident student in NC you can get a resident prices on tags and I’m super excited about doing some bear hunting for the first time in my life (no bear season here in Missouri). As I likely won’t have access to private land I won’t be able to bait and I don’t have a dog to tree them. I know this will make hunting more difficult but if anybody has tips for fall bear hunting in NC I’d love to hear them. I’ll be going to school in Franklin but I’m open to driving if necessary.

Thanks!

PS: If anybody in NC needs a hunting, fishing, or hiking buddy let me know. I'd be happy to return the favor if you ever make it to MO.

Last edited:
Welcome to NC, and HT! With you being in the mountains and around Nantahala and close to Pisgah National Forest, you'll be in bear country. I've hunted them at the coast, but not the mountains, so I don't have any first hand knowledge of hunting them in that location. But I do know guys who do hunt them in the mountains. There are some gameland permit hunts in the mountains that you can apply for at $5 dollars each, and I think the bear tag is $5. Just go to the NCWRC website and put in for them. It's a low percentage hunt, but you'll be in the Appalachian Mountains bear hunting, which ain't bad!
Good luck!

Maybe try to find some hardwoods with a good acorn crop. The majority of bears are killed with dogs in the mountains but it would be worth a shot. Been thinking of trying it myself this fall. A buddy and I tried spot and stalk on public near the coast a few years back. Way to much pressure and way to thick for the most part. I think private land is key in the eastern part of the state. A much greater percentage of bears are killed on gamelands in the mountains than are killed on gamelands near the coast. Welcome to NC

Last edited:
I've been trying the DIY bear hunts here in NC the past two years. Like genesis recommended, I think the way to go is the permit hunts if you dont have access to private. If you're willing to travel to the coast, Dare Game lands is a great opportunity. Its a bear sanctuary that you can get a permit to hunt in and has a 50% draw odds. I hunted there the year before last and we saw 3 nice bears but unfortunately I underestimated how far you could see. Being in NC I assumed all shots would be within 100yrd due to vegetation. In reality, we could see about 1000yrds or more down trails and saw most bears between 300-400yrds away and I wasnt prepared to shoot at those distances.

Welcome man! If you would like to PM me, I can offer some assistance and what not for the area, I live just west of Asheville and hunt public land here in NC.

Is the school in a town called Cullowhee?

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and for the info. Would any of you happen to have a link where I can apply for the gameland permit draws? I can't seem to find it anywhere on the website. To be honest NC has the most difficult regs to navigate out of any state I've hunted in or researched hunting in. The regs vary so much depending on where you're at in the state. I'm hoping I don't mess anything up.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and for the info. Would any of you happen to have a link where I can apply for the gameland permit draws? I can't seem to find it anywhere on the website. To be honest NC has the most difficult regs to navigate out of any state I've hunted in or researched hunting in. The regs vary so much depending on where you're at in the state. I'm hoping I don't mess anything up.
http://www.ncwildlife.org/Licensing/Permit-Hunting-Opportunities

What regs are throwing you off? Yea, we have 3 distinct regions that have different biota and population dynamics. For bear, the big difference is the zones and the seasons. The method of take (for bear) is pretty much the same. Unless you hunt on private land for the first season in the mountains, then you can use unprocessed bait. If you are hunting public, the bait rule doesnt apply since baiting is illegal on public land for any species.

And also what is a sanctuary and what isn't. That info can be found on the interactive map or by downloading the .kmz files from NCWRCs website

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Licensing/Permit-Hunting-Opportunities

What regs are throwing you off? Yea, we have 3 distinct regions that have different biota and population dynamics. For bear, the big difference is the zones and the seasons. The method of take (for bear) is pretty much the same. Unless you hunt on private land for the first season in the mountains, then you can use unprocessed bait. If you are hunting public, the bait rule doesnt apply since baiting is illegal on public land for any species.

It just seems you have to be very aware of the regs specific to where you are. There's the 3 regions, then rules that are specific to the gamelands that you are on, then there are specific rules from county to county. Throw in bear sanctuaries and areas that you have to draw on top of all that. Since I don't know specifically where I want to hunt yet it's a lot to take in. I'm sure I'll get it sorted out though. (I sent you a PM also)

I've been trying the DIY bear hunts here in NC the past two years. Like genesis recommended, I think the way to go is the permit hunts if you dont have access to private. If you're willing to travel to the coast, Dare Game lands is a great opportunity. Its a bear sanctuary that you can get a permit to hunt in and has a 50% draw odds. I hunted there the year before last and we saw 3 nice bears but unfortunately I underestimated how far you could see. Being in NC I assumed all shots would be within 100yrd due to vegetation. In reality, we could see about 1000yrds or more down trails and saw most bears between 300-400yrds away and I wasnt prepared to shoot at those distances.

Unfortunately, I think Dare is out for me. Looks like it's about an 8 hour drive and with the no hunting on Sunday law I just wouldn't be able to make it work as I'll have school 5 days a week.

Welcome to NC. I'm in Central NC and don't do much bear hunting, but everybody I know who has killed a bear has done so by bait or dogs. You're going to have a really tough time bear hunting Nantahala without access to dogs. It's not impossible, but it is very, very difficult. Only those who really know the game lands and spend a lot of time there pull it off. Your best bet if you really want to kill a bear is to find someone with dogs who you can go with. I'm sure there will be some hometown boys that you can find on campus who can hook you up. If you're planning on four years here, I'd be willing to bet you'll be able to get on some bears.

Also remember that the next regulations digest is about to come out, so check it for the changes. Not much has changed that I know of, other than cervid carcass importation regulations, but it's always best to have this year's info.

I was stationed in Eastern NC. Area is super thick and swampy. Sure there is lots of bear but not sure how you would see them. Around Pisgah is relatively open though wooded but you are literally in mountains. I never saw a bear there, for the record, despite being out and about in the woods a whole bunch. If it were me, for what that is worth, I'd read Richard Smith's book as he discussed a variety of hunting methods. I would ask a local biologist about other local food sources.

I know most of the guys run dogs up there to kill bears. Try and make some connections and find someone with a pack. You have some good turkey hunting and trout fishing up there if you’re into that.

Running dogs is the most effective method to kill a bear in the mountains, and especially the coast. It's not cheap to join in with one of those groups of guys, and you better have your mountain running legs ready!!

I hunt Appalachian black bears in Georgia without the help of bait or hounds. Public land too. It is a lot of work but it is possible. Me and my partner have taken at least one bear 3 out of our first 4 seasons so far. We mostly still hunt and track them since you can't spot and stalk due to vegetation and they aren't predictable enough to hang a treestand like deer. If we find a real hot food source like a persimmon or white oak that's loaded we'll spend some time there. If you find a mountain bog or water hole they can be productive when it's hot out.
Don't be intimidated by the houndsmem and baiters either. If you play the game right you can use them to your advantage.

Just got a black bear on camera and the season opens in a few days, not sure how to proceed but im wanting to get on the bear on my camera.

Welcome to NC. Hope you do well. I’ve lived here my whole life but haven’t done a bear hunt yet. Like @338 win mag I’m looking to try it in the future.
Yeah I just got into hunting last year and tagged 2 bucks and a doe but I saw the same black bear on camera from last year yesterday and he is a stud that I want to tag. Im new to hunting in general and have no idea on how to go about baiting and bringing the bear regularly up to my stand.

Yeah I just got into hunting last year and tagged 2 bucks and a doe but I saw the same black bear on camera from last year yesterday and he is a stud that I want to tag. Im new to hunting in general and have no idea on how to go about baiting and bringing the bear regularly up to my stand.
Unless I am mistaken you can’t bait them on public in NC but if you’re hunting private you can use baits that are not processed foods.

Back