Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Elk Talk 49

Brian in Montana

I was just listening to Elk Talk live Episode 49 while beating my feet on the treadmill and something made me laugh - benedryl in the kill bag. I thought I was the only one! Friends have long looked at me like I have 2 heads when I pop a benedryl right after shooting a deer. I'm violently allergic to them; wheezing, coughing, hives, and my nose runs like a faucet. Elk and antelope don't bother me too much, but deer are miserable until their skin is off. I would never have guessed that the Big Fin himself has this affliction.

One other thing I thought I'd comment on, completely unrelated, but it had to do with a question somebody asked about what to do in early season when a bull will bugle but won't come in. The answer was to go to him. Close the distance. Personally, I've blown more bulls out of more drainages by doing that that just about anything else. If I can plot a course that's both in the cover and down wind, I'll try it, but elk seem to have a pretty sharp eye for movement in my experience. I tend to mark where they are moving and come back the next day, and try to get in a better intercept position. In early season, I've had too many encounters where I busted a bull by trying to get closer and never saw them again, whereas, coming back the next morning they might be using the same trail.

I don't spot/stalk much in archery season myself. I've found I have my best luck just by getting into an area I know they'll be moving through, setting up in some cover and herd talking sparsely and quietly; just throwing out a handful of cow and calf calls every 10 minutes for a minimum of an hour, sometimes a bugle, but not every time. It's surprising how often elk come in seeming pretty relaxed. It's not as exciting as the run and gun method, but it does work.

I was just listening to Elk Talk live Episode 49 while beating my feet on the treadmill and something made me laugh - benedryl in the kill bag. I thought I was the only one! Friends have long looked at me like I have 2 heads when I pop a benedryl right after shooting a deer. I'm violently allergic to them; wheezing, coughing, hives, and my nose runs like a faucet. Elk and antelope don't bother me too much, but deer are miserable until their skin is off. I would never have guessed that the Big Fin himself has this affliction.

I deal with this issue too, gloves and a benadryl are an absolute necessity for the kill kit.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back