Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

How many Havalon blades do you take with you?

AtenJones

Heading into the Colorado mountains in a few weeks, and finalizing my gear list. This will be my first year with a replaceable blade knife. Just curious how many blades you take with you into the field? I realize I could take like 15, and probably not noticed a difference in weight - but it's the middle of July and I'm bored, so I'm counting ounces.

Thanks!

I get about one big game animal out of each blade, but usually have 7 or 8 in the knife case.

I can usually do an animal with one blade, but they do break sometimes. that being said, I always have 4-5 of them on me. On a longer hunt with 4 guys with tags, i'll carry more.

I usually carry 3 with me. I usually end up only using two and keep the third as an extra. I use the outdoor edge replaceable knife, so it might preform slightly differently than the havalon.

One more than you plan on breaking. :) I agree above about three i almost always break one.

I usually have as many as I can cram into the carrying pouch along with a pair of forceps for changing blades. I've only ever broken one blade, but I carry a spare just in case, plus the guys I hunt with use them so I carry a spare for each animal that they could potentially shoot and I'd get to help with, plus a fresh one to throw in after I'm done field dressing, etc., etc., usually it's about 6 extras...

I keep the old blade on from the last animal (deer usually for me) on the knife for the starting cuts through hide and work up the neck and skull because those are what dulls the blade most. Then switch in a new blade to finish the deer. For elk I usually will change one more time just because I find a sharp blade to be safer. Knock on wood never broken a havalon blade in 15+ animals since I've been using one but man does the thought scare me.

1 on the handle and 5 spares. I try not to pry with them, I have a fixed blade knife for that. Oh, and get the little orange blade removers made by havalon. They weigh nothing and are alot easier to change a blade with then forceps or a leatherman

They are so light, I keep however many may fit in the cordura type sheath the knife come with, think 10? I typically keep it all together otherwise... ordering more because I forgot where I placed them.

You really pinch your ounces or fraction of ounces!

I carry my havalon in one side pouch of my FHF Gear Bino harness and about 4-6 spare blades in the zipper pouch of said harness with my tags.....

Usually only takes one blade per animal, but since they are light I have 4-5 extra.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back