Yeti GOBOX Collection

Aluminum Hang-On Tree Stand Recommendations

OhHeyThereBen

I'm in the middle of looking for a quality aluminum tree stand for this upcoming fall and would love to hear from some of you that have packed a stand into a location 2+ miles and what you use? Below are my requirements and what I've found so far:

Light Weight (Under 15lbs)
Aluminum
Adjustability
Comfort for a big guy (6'5", 240lbs, size 13 boots)
Price Under $200, prefer under $150

XOP Vanish - $150
- 11lb
-Cast Aluminum I beam and platform
- "bow holder and accessory hooks"
- Platform 19"D x 27"W.
- Adjustable seat and platform

Millennium Treestands M7 Microlite - $180
- 8.5lb
-Quick attach mount
- Platform 20.5"W x 26"D.
- Non adjustable seat and platform

Rivers Edge Lightfoot - $100
- 14.5lb
- Platform 28" x 21.5"
- Cast Aluminum Platform
- No adjustment to seat or platform angle

I understand that the lone wolf stands are pretty great as well, but I can't justify spending over $200 on something like that. Any insight from you guys?

For lock on and sticks I've always used cheap steel ones. I leave them up for the season so I am not carrying them all over and in case one gets stolen I'm not out that much. As far as traveling light to new places or sitting all day I use a summit viper climber that is crazy light and so comfortable all day sits are really easy. Good luck.

I've found that by the time I've gotten a lockon and sticks, I'm not saving as much weight as I thought I would've over a comfortable climber.

Second the summit viper. Love mine and easily adjustable when in the tree. But sometimes you need more versatility than what a climber can offer. If it's 2 miles and it's a known honey hole I would get the absolute cheapest stand and leave it in the tree. If you're staying mobile I would focus more on weight than I would size of the stand. At 6'3 215, I bought my gorilla I purchased the slightly bigger stand, but for run and gun set up I would've been better off with the smaller one. Also be on the look out for after season sales. I lucked up and got a Gamewinner loc-on for $30 a couple months ago. Very light, didn't come with a strap, but has a good cushion. Recommend having a good cushion even if you have to buy it separately.

Maybe I'm being too picky but also consider the grating of the platform. I don't like the ones with smalls gaps because it's more aggravating when putting fingers through it to take a stand off and on. Doing that 4 times a day gets old.

A lot of run and gun guys are starting to switch to tree saddles. Might be worth looking into as well.

Thanks guys. I was looking at the saddles a bit as well, but will look a bit closer.

The reason that I'm looking for a mid-high end hang on is that I'll be able to be a bit more comfortable in a stand that I can take anywhere. I'm the kind of person that I really don't like running into random tree stands on public land myself (they're an eye sore) so I'm not going to do that to someone else. I think for that case, a climber would also be out of the question because I need to be able to get in nearly any tree. Where I hunt there's a bunch of gnarly burr oak trees that a climber wouldn't stand a chance of getting in.

Any more insight is always appreciated!

I like a climbing stand for mobility and a ladder for comfort. But there is a place for lock on's. Out of the ones you have listed the millennium gets my vote. I have spent probably over 30 days in a 20ft millennium ladder and numerous days in few different millennium lock on's. They are all comfortable and overall just a quality piece of gear.

I really like my Summit Viper. I don't find it too heavy to pack, even a couple miles ( and I admit to being over 60). For me, it is safe and very comfortable.

Thanks guys. I was looking at the saddles a bit as well, but will look a bit closer.

The reason that I'm looking for a mid-high end hang on is that I'll be able to be a bit more comfortable in a stand that I can take anywhere. I'm the kind of person that I really don't like running into random tree stands on public land myself (they're an eye sore) so I'm not going to do that to someone else. I think for that case, a climber would also be out of the question because I need to be able to get in nearly any tree. Where I hunt there's a bunch of gnarly burr oak trees that a climber wouldn't stand a chance of getting in.

Any more insight is always appreciated!

One of my favorite public land spots is the same spot where someone has a loc-on hung in a small tree. It had recently been hung when I started hunting it season before last. Since then I've killed a few pigs, one deer, and many squirrels. Never seen another person there or signs of a person other than that stand. That guy don't know what he's missing out on.

Check out Tethrd Mantis for a tree saddle. Haven't bought it myself, but if/when I do try out saddles it's what I will probably go with

Those tree saddles don’t look comfortable at all to me.

My mobile setup was a lockon and screw in steps. It was a much lighter alternative to a climber or lockon with sticks.

Given the options above I would go with Millennium M7. Millennium seats have always been the most comfortable for me, however, I would say the M7 seat is shallow and does not allow you to lean back as well. Also has a shallow platform of 26". So on long days the shallow seat and platform will require you to sit straight up and that will get uncomfortable.

I would actually go with the Millennium M100U Ultralite.
[FONT=&quot]
SPECIFICATIONS[/FONT]

Given the options above I would go with Millennium M7. Millennium seats have always been the most comfortable for me, however, I would say the M7 seat is shallow and does not allow you to lean back as well. Also has a shallow platform of 26". So on long days the shallow seat and platform will require you to sit straight up and that will get uncomfortable.

I would actually go with the Millennium M100U Ultralite.
[FONT="]
SPECIFICATIONS[/FONT]

This one looks good. Adding it to my list. In you guys' opinion, since I'm only buying one stand, is adjusting the platform and seat angle going to be a big deal when being able to put it in any tree?

It’s definitely handy. I have a Lone Wolf(LW) lockon and LW sticks.

Fwiw, I’ve used an Ol’ Man lockon for years without the adjustability with no problems.

Whatever you do I wouldn't go with the rivers edge, you get what you pay for. They are noisy and uncomfortable at best, your other two options are good. The milleniums seat is too low for me but that's just personal preference. You may want to give muddy brand stands a look. Best bang for your buck that I have used so far, I've been replacing all my old milleniums with these.

XOP hang on is a great stand, very Lone Wolf comparable... there's some history behind that story as to why. I have 5 XOP hang on stands, working on replacing all old stands with XOP.

Any of you guys lanky? I'm 6'5" and would rather have something with a bit taller seat hight and longer platform.

I'm thinking the XOP Vanish is where I'm leaning because I can buy it local instead of online. But we'll see.

Whatever you do I wouldn't go with the rivers edge, you get what you pay for. They are noisy and uncomfortable at best, your other two options are good. The milleniums seat is too low for me but that's just personal preference. You may want to give muddy brand stands a look. Best bang for your buck that I have used so far, I've been replacing all my old milleniums with these.

I agree on the Muddy brand stands, they are much more affordable than Millennium, and seats are comfortable. However, in my experience the Muddy brand stands feel cheaper and if you are moving them around a lot, you may have some concern with them holding up over time. We bought a ladder stand and it came new out of the box feeling a little flimsy and missing bolts. We made it work, but if you go that route you may want to open at home and make sure you have all the parts.

On the adjustable seat question - I've never had a problem with not having an adjustable seat.

Any of you guys lanky? I'm 6'5" and would rather have something with a bit taller seat hight and longer platform.

I'm thinking the XOP Vanish is where I'm leaning because I can buy it local instead of online. But we'll see.

I'm 6'2" and that's why I prefer the muddy over the millennium, much higher seat height. That and it's much quieter and comfortable.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back