Yeti GOBOX Collection

Tire Chains?

VikingsGuy

I have a 2015 Toyota Sequoia. Will be hunting the first week of October in Wyoming Unit 9 for antelope. Are chains useful in this area of the state during this time of year? I live in Minnesota so I am very comfortable with regular snow and ice on paved roads or decent gravel roads with no chains, but I hear folks on HT talking about chains - or is that more of a late season high country elk thing?

I hunted there in 2016, second week of October. We took chains, but had great weather. Even had the weather been worse, I'm not sure I would have chained up as there's quite a bit of hunting to be had along the hardtop in 9.

Chains are useful when you need them. I have needed chains in the high mountains, and in the bottoms along the Missouri River. Where and when you need them is anybody's guess. As with anything, it is a calculated risk. My chains never leave my truck.

Hunting along the hardtop is not worth much if you can't get back to it. Fortunately, during that time of year a heavy snow rarely sticks around all that long.

I have a set of V-bar from Tirechains.com...haven't had to use them in years but nice to have at least 1 set (2 tire chains) in the rig. These are the ones that use a cam tensioner which is nice not having to stretch a bungee (though I those can be helpful too). I think a set is like $90.

My new F150 doesn't have the room for chains up front like the older models so am looking at a set of low clearance as a just in case

Last edited:
I used a set of the diamonds on my Jeep (prior to doug) as clearance was an issue and was VERY pleased with them. I am going back and forth between them and V-bars right now and think I am going with the diamonds. One thing they have is some lateral stability as well and are very easy to put on. Here is a link and they have free shipping..... https://www.tirechainsrus.com/4x4-truck-tire-snow-chains.html

The non-paved roads were a mix of crushed rock/gravel and some of the more remote roads were basically bladed off land and consisted of whatever was there already. Most of that being a clay type product. It was dusty as hell a month ago and when it rains it is like snot so just stay off of it if it rains would be my advise. Especially since the ranchers will be pissed if you put on chains and tear their roads all up. They will probably chew your tail if you tear it up too bad and get stuck. That being said I am not buying/bringing any.

I always take chains with me out West for my GMC Sierra 1500, I have cable chains for the front and V bar chains for the rear tires. But my feeling on chains today is to get me out of trouble not into.

I would say it really depends on what tires you have on your vehicle. A got set of AT or mud terrain tires will all but eliminate the need for tire chains during that time of year (using some discretion in your driving of course). The weight on all 4 tires of those big SUV's make them track a lot better than some pick ups in my experience. I have a 2001 Sequoia that goes great in off road with 265-75/r16 AT tires.

I always take chains with me out West for my GMC Sierra 1500, I have cable chains for the front and V bar chains for the rear tires. But my feeling on chains today is to get me out of trouble not into.

I agree, sometimes chains can get you into a lot of trouble also. I have them in case needed to get out of somewhere.

Back