Caribou Gear

Backpack Camera Setups?

MVRK28

Curious what everybody uses to film/photograph on backpack trips?

I recently picked up a Panasonic Lumix GX85 mirrorless (4K/30 fps) with a 12-32 and a 45-150 lens. and a Joby Gorillapod 3k with the ball head. I figured between this, a go pro or two and my phone scope (iPhone X in 4K/30 fps) we should have pretty good coverage. I'm just wondering if the 3k Joby is too heavy?

What does everybody else use?

Canon 80D, Canon t3i and some combination of 50/1.8 STM, 24/2.8 STM, 18-135/3.5-5.6 IS USM II, 55-250/3.5-5.6 IS STM, Rode VideoMicro, Tascam DR-40, Benro CF tripod & ball head, Manfrotto XPRO fluid head and UltraPod II mini tripod. Granted I haven't put together a worthwhile video with all that crap yet (hopeful for the upcoming season's hunts) but I have managed to take a few good photos of my usual hunting partner and landscapes.

CHou3iwl.jpg

XQIJpLil.jpg

XsBLCsdl.jpg

For my AZ coues backpack hunt I will probably bring the 80D, 50/1.8, 24/2.8, 18-135 IS USM, Rode mic, and Benro tripod.

Canon 80D, Canon t3i and some combination of 50/1.8 STM, 24/2.8 STM, 18-135/3.5-5.6 IS USM II, 55-250/3.5-5.6 IS STM, Rode VideoMicro, Tascam DR-40, Benro CF tripod & ball head, Manfrotto XPRO fluid head and UltraPod II mini tripod. Granted I haven't put together a worthwhile video with all that crap yet (hopeful for the upcoming season's hunts) but I have managed to take a few good photos of my usual hunting partner and landscapes.

CHou3iwl.jpg

XQIJpLil.jpg

XsBLCsdl.jpg

For my AZ coues backpack hunt I will probably bring the 80D, 50/1.8, 24/2.8, 18-135 IS USM, Rode mic, and Benro tripod.

NICE!

I have a Vortex Summit SS-P Tripod I carry for my spotter, I picked up an extra quick release plate for the GX85. However I am thinking as I upgrade I will probably go to a Manfrotto "Be Free" Carbon Fiber with a ball head on it. The Joby's just look so damn useful. I'm hoping to make a cool video this year documenting a DIY Colorado Mule Deer hunt.

I use GoPro 5 for filming and Canon M10 for taking photos. They are lightweight and comfortable for my trip.

Canon EOS 5D MK3. Various lenses depending what I’m after. Usually just a RRS tripod with a couple of mounts.

And charliebravo77 those are some pretty awesome shots.

Canon EOS 5D MK3. Various lenses depending what I’m after. Usually just a RRS tripod with a couple of mounts.

And charliebravo77 those are some pretty awesome shots.
Thanks, here's an update from AZ forward. I also upgraded glass significantly since then. Sigma 18-35/1.8, Tamron G2 70-200/2.8 and Tamron G2 150-600mm are my main go-tos now. I have also all but given up on shooting video because I'm just no good at it and it's such a pain while hunting. Kudos to anyone who actually does it for a living.

IMG_5045_hires by charliebravo77, on Flickr
IMG_5058 by charliebravo77, on Flickr
IMG_5070 by charliebravo77, on Flickr
IMG_5139 by charliebravo77, on Flickr
(find the coues deer)
IMG_5415 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

A buddy and I took a new adult female hunter on her first successful deer hunt in Nebraska
IMG_5509 by charliebravo77, on Flickr
IMG_5503 by charliebravo77, on Flickr
IMG_5490 by charliebravo77, on Flickr
IMG_5530 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Misc other hunting/outdoor pics
CO/SD/WY 2019 by charliebravo77, on Flickr
3tTSAUz.jpg

Cz82Ztm.jpg

In terms of "Backpack" camera equipment I have been very happy with the Mindshift Backlight 26l as a dedicated photography backpack. For taking a camera along hunting, I have an assortment of soft neoprene lens and body cases that I can stuff in and around my sleeping bag/etc. I am hoping to upgrade bodies this year and will probably pick up a 24-105/f4L from Canon to be an all around lens for hunting to avoid having to carry multiple, but we'll see.

More pics:
I got really into wildlife photography in general
IMG_6734 by charliebravo77, on Flickr
Urban Critters by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Hunting-related, went with a buddy doing some dog training
Bingley vom Herbstmond by charliebravo77, on Flickr
Gunnar by charliebravo77, on Flickr

The photography on this thread is astounding.

I've swapped setups quite a bit over the years (fairly new to hunting, but I'm a longtime backpacker). You can get a heck of a lot done with a Canon Rebel and a Go Pro if you get creative with mounting solutions. Look forward to getting a few ideas from this thread on wildlife specific setups.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back