MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

First Elk Hunt

dcj1972

Hello: I have never hunted elk before. I booked a hunt with a guide in Colorado. I will be hunting from Oct.13th to 17th. I have been drawn to hunt Unit 068. I am all ears on any advice that you can give. I plan on shooting a .308 with hand loads that consist of 180 grain Nosler Accubond. Is this going to be enough gun? Please help.

Get in shape. Now.
Break in your boots. Now.
Ask your guide questions. Listen to him/her.
.308 is plenty, dunno about 180 AB's in it.

Rancho, I have been walking with a loaded back pack (about 25 lbs), wearing an altitude training mask set at 12,000 feet, and I train Jiu Jitsu two days a week. I live in Georgia, so I already know there is a huge difference in altitude. I am in pretty good shape (at 495 feet above sea level) at least. I plan to arrive a day early to try to get use to it. I have deer hunted here in Georgia all my life. I have also done a DIY mule deer hunt in Wyoming back in 2005. This will be my first ever guided hunt and the biggest animal I have ever gone after. Just want to make sure that I am not under gunned.

Sounds like you are in good shape for it, and second trip out west. First elk hunt. Remember to have fun and enjoy it. Ask your guide questions while you're out there about everything, not just related to elk. You could learn so much about habitat, other big game, weather patters etc.

Good luck!

Sounds like you're on it training wise, remember to hydrate like a mofo for days before leaving. I'm a firm believer that it helps with aclimation.

As for the 180 AB, it's a fine bullet for elk, but you're giving up a lot of MV shooting it out of the .308. Wondering why you're not going with the 165? It's a proven elk killer.

Times 2. At least a gallon of water per day for 3-4 week before you go.

^+1

I grew up here and I almost always finish my 3L water bladder everyday I'm out hunting. You are going from 85% humidity 35%... that plus the elevation, plus a strenuous work out, and if you are drinking enough water you will get crushed.

Joja boys were born to kill stuff out west! Good luck and have fun!

Get comfortable shooting all positions and reaching out as far as you have access to shoot. Just like archery, shooting very long range makes shooting mid range seem easy. Good boots, good bino's, good fitness, and a good pack and you are ready to make it happen.

Grab your pack and find some place that has a LOT of steps like stairways in a park. Up 20- down 10- up 20- down 10. When you get up 6 or 7 flights of steps come down 20 go up 10. spend an hour a day a couple days a week and it will make a big difference.

Shoot your gun when you get to CO the change in elevation humidity etc will change poi. Sounds like you're on the right track physically get used to drinking lots of water as they said above and enjoy your hunt might want to look at the 165 accubond as well unless you're dead set on the 180. Best of luck keep us updated.

Altitude sickness effects 1 out of every 5 people. It would be a shame to ruin your hunt by getting it. Above all else....hydrate as stated above!! In addition, you can buy cans of O2 at just about any store in Colorado these days....my visitors swear that it works so do yourself a favor and pick up a can or two just in case!!

Also remember that just because you dont get altitude sickness one time doesnt mean you wont get it the next time. If you suffer from any sort of sleep apnea your odds of getting altitude sickness increase as well. The majority of the time altitude sickness gets to you isnt while you are working hard its when your respiratory rate slows down naturally ie sleeping so having a condition that already affects your breathing when you are sleeping will just add to it. I am not saying you wont feel it when you work hard its just you are more apt to have the symptoms start while you are sleeping and not notice them until you try and hike.

And Coach Chris you beat me to the whole altitude mask discussion.

If riding horses do some riding before and wear some thin slick long johns to keep from getting chaffed. The wife wore bicycle shorts and they worked well.

I've never tried an altitude mask, but I can say that the need for cardio training cannot be over-stated. The better shape you're in the more you'll enjoy it, and the better your chances of success.

Besides that, if you aren't accustomed to shooting off your pack or a fallen log, get practice in. Good luck, brother!

I've never tried an altitude mask, but I can say that the need for cardio training cannot be over-stated. The better shape you're in the more you'll enjoy it, and the better your chances of success.

Besides that, if you aren't accustomed to shooting off your pack or a fallen log, get practice in. Good luck, brother!

Coach. I have read all the hype on the internet about these mask. I know there is no replacing the amount of oxygen in the air at 10,000 feet. But I can tell you that by using the mask while walking at 495 feet while the mask is set for 12,000 feet really makes my lungs work.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back