Sled for pulling deer up a ravine?

The Jet sled is the best. I have the huge one and it pulls like a dream with a dusting of snow.

We winched front half of my brother's moose in one (mine) last year. During a snow/sleetk squal over sagebrush after we go got soaked wet, cold. Used it hauling *stuff* into the cabin after that three times last winter behind our sleds and still going strong.

dave, I’m not following. If you are using the winch what’s the issue with pulling it out tail first?

The sled might not solve all your problems with catching on things because the legs flop around on a 70(?) degree slope. It helps if you throw the animal in a big canvas bag so the legs and head aren’t flopping around.

I use these types of sleds: https://www.acehardware.com/departm...4ILtE6oALZ9MMXqz4pDxFVHBdy9bsaehoCNCgQAvD_BwE and drill a bunch of holes in the side rails for tie down points.

Here is how I have been doing it the past 30 years. I buy kids roll up sleds and use hole punch on sides for parachute cord to lash deer to sled.
This deer went over 3/4 mile and through two creeks one a 20’ ft wide trout stream.
I proudly should of done the gutless method and packed her out as I had my pack and game bags. Iowa early Muzzleloader season. C5F0C7FA-42F5-4A98-A26C-D0E11A365E02.jpg

I pulled out a cow elk with an ice fishing sled and ATV a few years back. Worked great.

We did have a bit of an issue with the sled wanting to slide sideways around corners, but I sat backwards behind the driver of the atv and put a foot on each rope going to the sides of the sled. By pressing down on a rope with my foot I was able to steer the sled around the corner. Got a bit redneck/western, but hey it worked.

Whatever you get, get it big enough that 40% of the deer is NOT hanging off the sides or ends. Monster whitetail racks take a lot of space :) .

Have a good lip on it (will reduce blood spillage in the back of your truck) and lash points for bungee cords or ropes to tie the thing on. You don't need the animal sliding off every time you go over a log, stump, or drift catty-whumpus. And then make yourself a chest harness to pull it.

I bought a Shappell Jet Sled. It works like a charm! An average whitetail fits real well. Shouldn't be a problem with a BIG one. Getting one in the first place is the hard part.

20181202_102115.jpg

Not sure how the ravine steepness will show itself in a picture, but this is pulling my buck up with the winch as planned. No problems at all! Sure am glad I got this thing!

ravine.jpg

More of a side shot. It's really steeper than it looks, and it REALLY is hard to climb up let alone haul a deer.

winching.jpg

Here is how I have been doing it the past 30 years. I buy kids roll up sleds and use hole punch on sides for parachute cord to lash deer to sled.
This deer went over 3/4 mile and through two creeks one a 20’ ft wide trout stream.
I proudly should of done the gutless method and packed her out as I had my pack and game bags. Iowa early Muzzleloader season. View attachment 91578

i'll second this exact approach.

I have used plastic sleds to haul out elk and deer and they are fantastic. I would not use them on bare ground, but with a small amount of snow, they are a game changer. On dry ground, I will use a back pack. You said that you do not gut the deer. Why not? Leave that crap in the ravine and get rid of the weight. The guts do not scare other deer, anyway.

You said that you do not gut the deer. Why not? Leave that crap in the ravine and get rid of the weight. The guts do not scare other deer, anyway.

I didn't gut them until I had them at the top. Too much dirt and sand by the time they got up. Now with the sled, I gutted my buck at the bottom and then put it in the sled to winch up. My doe was on the "good" side and I rode right up to it to gut and load.

The tow bar they make for them sure makes things easier than using rope.

Yeah, but I'm a cheap bastard! Going out empty I just put the sled upside down over my rear cargo bag and drove. The first time, I drug it and it caught up to me while idling and braking downhill to the ravine edge. The pull rope got caught up in my tires and rode up into the back of my ATV. Dragging it back out loaded it had enough weight to stay back.

If that's the steepest hill, I'd throw the deer on the front rack and drive it out of there.

Back