Sled for pulling deer up a ravine?

Dave N

Where I deer hunt there is a ravine that splits the property in half. Of course, I always seem to shoot one on the far side. No biggie. BUT, it never fails that when I'm using my 4 wheeler to winch it up that the deer's nose or antlers always seem to start digging in to the dirt, bogging it down. Has anyone used a plastic sled of some sort to haul their deer or whatever? Thought if I had something to tie down to with a hole through it (to keep from ripping the sled apart) to hook to my deer with my winch cable it would solve the problem. Pros? Cons? Not looking to spend big bucks on something, just looking for a way to keep the deer moving uphill without snagging. I've looked online and found plenty to choose from but have no clue what works and what doesn't. Any help or tips?

Shapell Jet Sled

Bingo! That looks just like what I need. Nice and thick and it sounds like they have replaceable runners for it. Looked around and found a medium sized one for $38 and free shipping. Think I can fashion a center hole up front to run a rope through to tie onto the deer and reduce the amount of drag and pressure on the front end. It's a pretty good angle that I have to winch them up. Think I'll pick one up and give it a try this fall. THANKS!!!!

If I am using my truck or an ATV I drag them up hill backwards.

I also own a product Cabelas used to sell called the Deer Sleigh'r. It is only OK. It will role over and sometimes not stay on the bottom side. I no longer even carry it in the truck.

I haven't drug a big game animal with a vehicle for about 10 years. The situation just doesn't happen very often that it would make sense. Last time it was a large bear and I was on private property.

It doesn't hurt a thing, unless you're going to keep the hide. If keeping the hide, I would pack the deer out instead of dragging it.

And one hell of a lot more work. Snow or no snow going against the grain of the hair is more work unless you are using an ATV. We drag out 5-10 whitetails a year out of the riverbottom. I put a loop around the neck then a half hitch around the nose. Hook it up short to a stout stick and you will keep the nose up.Done it on lots of elk also when the situation is right and there is plenty of help.

Last edited:
OK, thanks all! This ravine is about 30-40 feet deep to where I can winch from. It's fairly sandy so dragging backwards would REALLY get messy. I don't gut them until they are up top on the truck side. Once I have them gutted I short-tie them to my ATV and head out. THAT was never the problem. Getting them out of the ravine was the hard part. It's VERY steep there, but the best place to winch from and I also have a tree to put a front tire against for a brace point. As an update, the $38 sled has turned into a $51 sled now. Seems like the website I found the "good" price was linked to a joint in China! Ended up getting charged an exchange rate AFTER I had the order in. Still an average price elsewhere with shipping, so I'll just hope for the best.

I will be interested to see how you get on Dave, is the link above you followed for the sled?
What are the dimensions?
I'm wondering what size I would need for a big red stag.
If I get some spare cash this year I will be buying a portable capstan winch for the red deer.
Cheers
Richard

I have a plastic Jet Sled, picked it up from a local sporting goods store for around $30. I've only drug deer in it a couple times, but it's been very useful around the house. We use it to move firewood, pick up sticks, haul dirt around the yard, grass clippings, just whatever. The kids also ride it down the hills when it snows.

And one hell of a lot more work. Snow or no snow going against the grain of the hair is more work unless you are using an ATV. We drag out 5-10 whitetails a year out of the riverbottom. I put a loop around the neck then a half hitch around the nose. Hook it up short to a stout stick and you will keep the nose up.Done it on lots of elk also when the situation is right and there is plenty of help.

I've found it to be easier than dragging them by the antlers. Run a stick through the back legs long enough for a person to grab on each side. It much easier that way to me and everyone else that I've shown this method to.

Dragging deer out of our riverbottoms is really easy. Usually just float them out or I load it up in my pirogue. That's way better than dragging on the ground.

I will be interested to see how you get on Dave, is the link above you followed for the sled?
What are the dimensions?
I'm wondering what size I would need for a big red stag.
If I get some spare cash this year I will be buying a portable capstan winch for the red deer.
Cheers
Richard

No, the link is a different one. This is a Shappell Jet Sled. The medium sized one I want measures 54X25X10. The larger one is 66X31X12.

Guys, my original point seems to have been lost. I'm not worried about dragging it out to my truck. I'm trying to winch it up out of a steep ravine. THEN everything is OK. I would guess the uphill angle is somewhere around 70 degrees. I get tired using my winch cable to rappel down to my deer, tie it on, rappel back up, winch until antlers or nose dig into the dirt, rappel back down, unhook the deer, back up, and so on. A sled to put deer in that would handle being hauled UP and over the edge was my goal.

I have to agree with more work on dragging backwards. The hair catches on the ground and causes friction and drag. Dragging from the front lets the hair slide naturally. SURE it's easier with 2 guys. Why not tie the stick to the antlers and go that way? Easier yet! Antlers are also a handle.

We use jet sleds whenever possible. Definitely makes the dragging much easier over bare ground or snow. I also put eye bolts sticking up around the perimeter of mine to lash things down or help hold the deer in on uneven ground.

No, the link is a different one. This is a Shappell Jet Sled. The medium sized one I want measures 54X25X10. The larger one is 66X31X12.

Guys, my original point seems to have been lost. I'm not worried about dragging it out to my truck. I'm trying to winch it up out of a steep ravine. THEN everything is OK. I would guess the uphill angle is somewhere around 70 degrees. I get tired using my winch cable to rappel down to my deer, tie it on, rappel back up, winch until antlers or nose dig into the dirt, rappel back down, unhook the deer, back up, and so on. A sled to put deer in that would handle being hauled UP and over the edge was my goal.

I have to agree with more work on dragging backwards. The hair catches on the ground and causes friction and drag. Dragging from the front lets the hair slide naturally. SURE it's easier with 2 guys. Why not tie the stick to the antlers and go that way? Easier yet! Antlers are also a handle.

Because you're dragging the heaviest part of the deer about 3' behind you versus picking up on the heaviest part up while dragging. I've never had an issue with pulling "against the grain " of the hair. I've cleaned enough hogs to worry a little dirt on a deer. They've always had way more dirt in their hair than any deer I've ever drug backwards.

Good luck with your slide, though.

The shappel sled serves as a dual purpose by being an ice fishing sled! A two'fer if you will. I have an otter that I use for ducks n' bucks and then hardwater season.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, thanks all! This ravine is about 30-40 feet deep to where I can winch from. It's fairly sandy so dragging backwards would REALLY get messy. I don't gut them until they are up top on the truck side. Once I have them gutted I short-tie them to my ATV and head out. THAT was never the problem. Getting them out of the ravine was the hard part. It's VERY steep there, but the best place to winch from and I also have a tree to put a front tire against for a brace point. As an update, the $38 sled has turned into a $51 sled now. Seems like the website I found the "good" price was linked to a joint in China! Ended up getting charged an exchange rate AFTER I had the order in. Still an average price elsewhere with shipping, so I'll just hope for the best.

We used the large size one of these to get my brother's moose out last year.

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com...MI-9zb8rby3AIVUl5-Ch3ZYQm2EAQYASABEgLIK_D_BwE

That's what I'm hoping for. Or should I say, I'm hoping for a DELIVERY before long. This China crap has me a bit worried. If I don't have it by the time we get home from vacation next week I'll call my credit card company and see what they say.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back